DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > house lifiting

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 10:48 AM  
chefman45887

will do im about a year out needed input and whatnot

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2012, 05:58 PM  
Dionysia

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Good luck, it CAN be done by a diy-er with lots of luck. (luck being the essential here)

My husband tore out 3 of our 4 basement walls and replaced them on our 24x36 foot bungalow. He used bridge planks borrowed from the county to span across the joists and a bunch of floor jacks - about every third joist if i recall correctly.

Of course, the center of the house was still supported on the main beam, and we were living in the house too, so no quite the same situation.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:13 AM  
Kevinlee

I just participated in moving a 56x 25 house. It sits now on my property on 4 sets of Cribbing on 2 70 foot I beams. It will stay there for the winter.
All I can say is it can be done, I could have done it all my self with the right equipment. The mover that did mine used only 4 jacks and four sets of cribbing to lift it from the basement/crawl. I bet you can get a mover to come in and lift it for ya and set it on cribbing till you are ready to set it back down for less then 5 grand. Just a guess there but I had mine moved for 10 grand, so I imagine just a lift would be about half of that.

Good luck with your project I will be watching this thread to see how you are coming along.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:33 AM  
DougLeary

I lifted my house about 8 years ago -- hired professional lifters and then did most of the inside work on the new rooms myself. They used an air jack system to do the actual lift, and used 8x8's for cribbing. Looked like the house was standing on stacks of lincoln logs. They hung the existing furnace and water heater on a little platform under the house so they went up with it, and we were able to live in the house during the several weeks that it took them to replace the foundation. It was kind of weird, like being in a minor earthquake all the time, but it was livable. I have a lot of photos of the process on my website - http://www.geekazon.com/house/ that might help you visualize the process. After all this time I still get an email every couple weeks from someone asking questions. So feel free to ask me anything.

Last edited by DougLeary; 02-20-2012 at 11:35 AM.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:44 PM  
chefman45887

ty for the input Doug, The house is completely gutted, during this mild winter I have been replacing floor joists as well as sandwiched 3- 2x8 together the full length of the house in staggered format glued and screwed for the center support . This house will be a double project, the roof will have to be replaced new trusses and all,then set up interior layout new 3/4" subfloor then setup the lifting. I will be getting quotes in april may time frame to see cost incurred for new footer and block. going to lift the home 3 block higher than were it currently is at the moment, considering the grading and the sill plate of the home is right in line with the center of the road. shooting for a spring 2013 go date if not sooner if the price point is right.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:52 PM  
1jackguy

Brace and brace somemore if joists are level why not put the floor down just for keeping square and don"t for get the BRACE. Just how high do you have to go and is this 1 story or 2 let us know.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:10 AM  
chefman45887

the house is single story,dimensions are 25'Wx48'L , had to replace joists in kitchen and bath , center support setup is crucial for any home especially when this one has to be lifted. how much higher 24" to were the home would last my lifetime with ease.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:59 PM  
chefman45887

update- decided with cost incurred basement will not be happening , house still will be lifted, had structural engineer come in to do a walk through, roof interior flooring/floorplan are 1st, brace a lot , 12-20 ton jacks 4-6" wide 1/4" thick i beam 30 foot long with 6x6 cribbing , 3 jacks per i beam. 200 linear feet of block, 7 coarse.

Quick Reply