DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > How to butt 4 walls together?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2010, 02:14 PM  
reprosser
Infrequent User

Default How to butt 4 walls together?

I need to put up walls for a bathroom in my shop. I can build the 4 walls, but is there a preferred or required layout for butting the walls together at the corners? 2 opposite walls inside the other 2 walls, or overlap each corner differently, or ??

Also, the sewer (stack?) pipe is sticking up from the floor and should be inside one wall. What is the correct method to cut-out the plates for the pipe?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2010, 07:04 AM  
reprosser
Infrequent User

Default Update and picture

Ok - an update, some clarification and a picture should help...

Originally, I was thinking of 4 independent walls to build, stand up, and tie together in the corners. Was not sure how to put the corners together. You can see the green walls and a purple door outline.

Now, I think I will build a 2x4 wall between the 6x6 posts on the back side of the shop. I need to install 200 amp service beside the door anyway. The bathroom wall with the vent pipe will probably need to be 2x6, but the other walls can be 2x4? The 2x6 wall can butt into the (new) back wall of the shop, and the wall opposite the 2x6 wall can butt up to the 6x6 post. Then, I just need to determine how to place the wall with the door and tie in the corners.

Clear as mud?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply