DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > ideas on jacking up a 2 story house

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 04:41 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 417 Times on 348 Posts
Likes Given: 136

http://www.teamflyingcircus.com/

Here ya go Neal, and be careful over there, they have a really mean Administrator...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2014, 05:14 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 803 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 1367

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldognewtrick View Post
http://www.teamflyingcircus.com/

Here ya go Neal, and be careful over there, they have a really mean Administrator...
I used to fly real planes, coming around a mountain one day came close to some fool hanging from a kite. I bet it was raining brown that day.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:00 PM  
homersipes

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

thanks for the info everyone, think I will have someone take a look at the soil. We have been here almost 3 years, and have NOT noticed a change in the unlevelness of the floor. We have a small aquarium in the dining room where you can tell its not level and since we have been here it hasnt changed, but it isnt getting better either . it is about 2 1/2" in roughly 14 feet. no stuck doors, all the doors work great havent had to adjust striker plates or plane the doors. all the windows work beautifully, if it werent for the fish tank or a level eye you would never know. There are a few small cracks in the plaster, but none too bad, there is only one bad spot and thats right next to the chimney on the second floor, the plaster has cracked pretty good there, but then again has not changed in the 3 years we have been here. The bank has no visible signs of erosion, we have gutters which take the water down behind the garage. hahaha I knew I would get a ration over sauna tubes, I thought of it after I posted and was like DOH thats not how its spelled glad you like the rc plane, its a 1/4 scale piper pawnee. here are some pics of my dads projects

Old 02-05-2014, 06:31 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Liked 324 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Sounds to me like every old home I have lived in. The only thing you mentioned is the bulging basement wall you talked about, and I would ask similar questions about that. Is the mortar popping out, cracked showing gaps? Chances are this all happened 75 years ago and has been stable for all this time. Lifting things back into place rapidly is going to flex a lot of stuff up thru the house. Windows, doors, plaster all don’t like being bent 2.5 inches. In my first old house I had all these problems and didn’t try and correct them for the above fears, but I did things to stabilize the floors take the bounce out replace bad wood etc. I also leveled where I had to. It will be interesting to hear what the eng. has to say.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:05 AM  
homersipes

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I am not 100 % sure that the foundation is bowing out or if it was built thicker. there are only a couple small places where the mortar has cracked out, I can look in between the paneling and foudation and its as straight as can be on the interior, but on the outside it is about 6" wider than the house. I am not sure if they built the back foundation thicker or what, the foundation inside the basement is as straight as a poured foundation, and its nearly perfectly level as most as I can tell. I think you maybe right all of this happened 70 years ago, but it bugs me hahaha. all the corners are fine and not cracked, seems as if the foundation was sinking on the back wouldnt the corners show stress? I only have 1 wall in the house that shows real signs of stress and its in 1 area next to the chimney. the wall down stairs at the top by ceiling and directly above it upstairs is the exact same. I mean the plaster has a few cracks but not enough to signify 2" of drop. I have seen a couple houses that the floors were 1/2" out in 25 feet and the doors dont work, and the plaster is all cracked up.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:27 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Liked 324 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 108

A lot of these houses were built and not plastered for several years. They sometimes used 1 inch thick sheathing on the inside for the walls until they could afford the luxury of plaster. My field stone basement is straight like yours on the inside and tapered on the outside I would say it’s about 2 feet at the top and 3 to 4 feet thick at the bottom. When I had my new well put in the guy had to make a hole thru that wall and picked a spot between several stones and started drilling only to find a huge bolder half way thru. He went right thru that thing I was quite impressed.

If you love old houses you have to also learn to love some of the crazy things you find in them. They didn’t have 48” sheets of material so they didn’t care about things like stud spacing and spaced studs apart the length of their hammer. I have made quite a few adjustments to things rather than try and level the house. In my new house the kitchen stove sits on a base I made that looks to be part of the stove but is a big wedge that’s tapered 1 inch across the width of the stove. By the time I set the counters and got them level the stove looked stupid jacked up 2 inches on the front. The funny part is it causes an optical illusion and people think the floor slopes the other way if they study it and they say well I never would have noticed if you didn’t show me. Then I take a golf ball and put it in front of the stove and it appears to roll up hill. Sometimes things like your fish tank make us aware of the problem and no one else would even notice.

I don’t know what you have as a plate on top of the basement wall I have a big beam that’s about 10x10 I think a lot of it came about over the years as wood shrunk up and compressed under the weight of the house. I can tell you when the snowplow comes down the road I can feel it half a block away and in the newer houses I cant. Not sure why that is.

Quick Reply