DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > lift

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-23-2009, 09:13 AM  
Larry M

Default lift

Hello
It became necessary to cut my basement girder to allow for the support of an I beam in the ceiling of the first floor. Unfortunately, the carpenter set the lally column on the left side of the cut approx. 3/4 short. After about 6 months the rafter in the area in question went down approx. 3/4 inch, and began to buckle, resulting in the crown molding in my kitchen pulling away from the ceiling 3/4 inch.. I have since re enforced the rafter in the basement by bolting two additional 2x10, 1/2" bolts 10" on center, to the rafter in question, spanning from the girder to the plate on the foundation wall. Now I need to raise the girder, which is made up of three 2x10, approx. 3/4 inch. How do I raise this girder, "HELP" Is there some type of hydraulic jack available to lift this section. I need to go up 3/4 inch and then install a 3/4 steel plate approx. 4x4 on top of the lally column

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2009, 02:50 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 93 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 188

Default Hmm

20 ton jack, available for rent ussually. I use a 6x6 and a steel plate on the bottle jack so it does not compress into the wood.
Lots of things are going to go snap, crackle and bang....make sure someone is with you.
I would get the carpenter back if you are not to sure what you are doing.
Make sure the column you are fixing is sitting on a new footing if it was moved over. The column could also be sinking, and adding a plate will not do much.
Simpson Strong-Tie - Helping to Build Stronger, Safer Structures has plenty of good column retrofit products available also.
Be safe.

Just My
Made in the

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply