DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > lifting the sags...




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2008, 12:12 PM  
shan2themax
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: huntington
Posts: 274
Send a message via AIM to shan2themax Send a message via Yahoo to shan2themax
Default lifting the sags...

OK... so I have gotten out of jacking up the house (because of sagging floors) for months now... My back is now healed..... the weather is getting better..... so, I need to get this done so that I can get going with the 409859847681758124 other projects I seem to be coming up with... lol...
My question is this.... after I dig holes under the house (to put cement for the jacks to stand on).... what kind of cement do I need? can I just use quickrete or something like that? and this will be over an approximate 35 foot span.(longwise of the house)... so how should the jacks be spaced? and ... does the jack need to be put directly under a joist or can it be between 2 joists? ( I know I have to use 4X6 or something similar to put above these jacks) and lastly... once I get it level..... is it safe to leave the jacks or would i be better off using cinderblocks?

You guys are invaluable to me.... I appreciate all the info.... (just wish I could answer a few myself... lol)

and for the kicker.... how am I attatching a 4x6 to the joists? ( I just showed how dumb I can be sometimes)



__________________

Last edited by shan2themax; 03-02-2008 at 12:28 PM.
shan2themax is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2008, 05:45 AM  
shan2themax
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: huntington
Posts: 274
Send a message via AIM to shan2themax Send a message via Yahoo to shan2themax
Default

bumb.... :-}



__________________
shan2themax is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2008, 06:57 AM  
handyguys
Senior Member
 
handyguys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 815
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to handyguys
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan2themax View Post
OK... so I have gotten out of jacking up the house (because of sagging floors) for months now... My back is now healed..... the weather is getting better..... so, I need to get this done so that I can get going with the 409859847681758124 other projects I seem to be coming up with... lol...
My question is this.... after I dig holes under the house (to put cement for the jacks to stand on).... what kind of cement do I need? can I just use quickrete or something like that? and this will be over an approximate 35 foot span.(longwise of the house)... so how should the jacks be spaced? and ... does the jack need to be put directly under a joist or can it be between 2 joists? ( I know I have to use 4X6 or something similar to put above these jacks) and lastly... once I get it level..... is it safe to leave the jacks or would i be better off using cinderblocks?

You guys are invaluable to me.... I appreciate all the info.... (just wish I could answer a few myself... lol)

and for the kicker.... how am I attatching a 4x6 to the joists? ( I just showed how dumb I can be sometimes)
First you need to determine WHY the floors have sagged. Repair the cause. jacking sagging joists and propping them up will only be a band aid on a broken arm.

Likely culprit is a rotted sill. The joists either sit on or are attached to the sill. Rot is likely caused by water, termites or carpenter ants.

fixing a rotted sill will involve some jacking but also a fair amount of carpentry. The steps are too numerous and too involved to post.

So, determine the cause first and then post back for recommendations. Just jacking and supporting your joists is NOT likely the proper fix.
__________________

The Handyguys Podcast [url]http://www.handyguyspodcast.com[/url]

handyguys is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2008, 10:36 AM  
shan2themax
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: huntington
Posts: 274
Send a message via AIM to shan2themax Send a message via Yahoo to shan2themax
Default

The cause is gutters that were never taken care of and rainwater going underneath the house, the sills and joist still look brand new, have no signs of termites or water damage or anything like that.... I am getting ready to replace the gutters and some fascia... then onto the sagging/bouncing floors.


Also, when the house was built (1979) there was nothing put under the load bearing wall for support.... from back of the house to the front is about 28-30 feet.... but again.. the wood looks good, doesnt sound hollow.... screwdriver doesnt go through any of the areas that I have tested... one of the two previous owners at some point put some cinderblocks and 2x4's under the house in two places.... but there are only two spots for a 35 foot run

__________________

Last edited by shan2themax; 03-03-2008 at 11:05 AM.
shan2themax is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2008, 05:11 PM  
glennjanie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,990
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie
Default

Hello Shan:
I would not use cement footers to jack from, just a piece of 2 X 6 or 8 to keep the jack from sinking into the dirt. Concrete blocks should be put on cement footers to hold the floor in place once it is level. The footers may be Quickreet, even mixed in the hole if you like and have enough space.
I'm trusting there is a double wood beam down the center of the house. You will need a footer and concrete blocks about every 6' to support the house.
The dirt for the footer will need to be dug down to undisturbed earth and place approximately 8" thick concrete to support the concrete blocks. Do some measuring and work backward, making the top of the concrete work out so 3or 4 concrete blocks will fill the space to the beam. Just get the top of the concrete level and 'loose-lay' the concrete blocks (without mortar) and remember the blocks are only 7 5/8" tall. Top each block pier with a piece of tin or aluminum to repel the termites. Let it hang over 2" all around and it will help block off mice too.
There should be a jack near each place you plan to use a pier. Block it up to reach the 4 X 6, put the beam on top of them and jack it up slowly like about 1/4" at each jack until they are all up to the level you want. A metal plate will keep the jack from sinking into the 4 X 6.
Glenn

__________________
glennjanie is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2008, 06:23 PM  
shan2themax
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: huntington
Posts: 274
Send a message via AIM to shan2themax Send a message via Yahoo to shan2themax
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennjanie View Post
Hello Shan:
I would not use cement footers to jack from, just a piece of 2 X 6 or 8 to keep the jack from sinking into the dirt. Concrete blocks should be put on cement footers to hold the floor in place once it is level. The footers may be Quickreet, even mixed in the hole if you like and have enough space.
I'm trusting there is a double wood beam down the center of the house. You will need a footer and concrete blocks about every 6' to support the house.

Glenn

Glenn,
I dont rememberthere being anything... but then again.. I havent been under the house in several months... so.... I work the next 5 or 6 days at both jobs... so ... as soon as I get the oppurtunity to take a peak under there I will... and I will try to take some pictures too..... if there isnt a double wood beam.... does that change what I need to do?
__________________
shan2themax is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2008, 10:59 AM  
glennjanie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,990
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie
Default

Hey Shan:
Yes, that would change the approach completely. But I'll bet you have the double under there, its just not properly supported.
Glenn

__________________
glennjanie is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2008, 02:45 PM  
shan2themax
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: huntington
Posts: 274
Send a message via AIM to shan2themax Send a message via Yahoo to shan2themax
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennjanie View Post
Hey Shan:
Yes, that would change the approach completely. But I'll bet you have the double under there, its just not properly supported.
Glenn
So, I crawled partially under the house and attempted to take a picture of the other side of the underneath.... I did find what looked to be a beam... it is about 18 inches past where 2 2x8ish meet in the center of the house..... problem one.... I dont think I fit on that side..... I will try when I have more time.... (I crawled under there with my scrubs on...lol) but... since there are two seperate joists....... would it be better to support on both sides of the main ac return and run? there is bounce in the floor also..... so... same fix or something new?

http://picasaweb.google.com/shan2themax/03032008/photo#5174005804366834754 sorry cant get it on the pages............
__________________
shan2themax is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2008, 08:24 AM  
handyguys
Senior Member
 
handyguys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 815
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to handyguys
Default

Tight space. I have done a lot of digging in situation like this. Sometimes from the outside other times on my belly with a shovel with no handle. No good answers.

__________________

The Handyguys Podcast [url]http://www.handyguyspodcast.com[/url]


Last edited by handyguys; 03-05-2008 at 08:26 AM.
handyguys is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2008, 02:15 PM  
shan2themax
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: huntington
Posts: 274
Send a message via AIM to shan2themax Send a message via Yahoo to shan2themax
Default

bump bump



__________________
shan2themax is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter DIY Home Repair Forum Replies Last Post
hardwood floor is lifting krm Flooring 2 12-18-2008 08:15 AM
hardwood floor lifting SeattleDIY Flooring 11 10-08-2008 03:39 PM
Spa lifting up from base cableghost General Home Improvement Discussion 3 01-02-2008 11:18 AM
Garage foundation wall needs lifting ikidd Framing and Foundation 2 09-17-2007 05:09 PM