DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > Load-Bearing Wall?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 12:57 PM  
Eric_C

Default Load-Bearing Wall?

Hi everyone. I am planning on taking out a wall that separates my kitchen and living room. My initial thought is it is not load-bearing as it does not extend from one end of my house the other. My house is one-story with concrete subfloors. I looked in the attic yesterday and took some pictures (attached) and put together a diagram based on this information. After looking in the attic I noticed the ceiling joist run perpendicular to the wall in question which I believe in most cases is a sign that it is load-bearing. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Eric

load-bearing-diagram.jpg   load-bearing-1.jpg   load-bearing-2.jpg   load-bearing-3.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2012, 04:33 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 796 Times on 710 Posts
Likes Given: 1355

Yes it is bearing the weight of the ceiling and maybe some of the roof and snow load or what have you. It is odd as most time the ceiling joists run in the same direction as the rafters. This will be needing a beam and you really need an engineer to check the loads and figure out the size of the beam. Do not trust a contractor to figure this out.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:52 AM  
Eric_C

Thanks so much! That's what I suspected.

Quick Reply