DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > Manufactured homes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2009, 03:03 PM  
saltysenior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cork-Guy View Post
I'm a brick and mortar kind of guy myself... last longer and looks much better in my opinion.
remember the story about the three little pigs

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2009, 08:59 AM  
johnmwentz

The idea seems good enough but I am not sure that how practical is it for most of the home seekers.

Check out the [URL="http://concrete-repair-guide.blogspot.com/"]Concrete Repair Guide[/URL] for any DIY Help for [URL="http://www.roklinsystems.com/"]Concrete Repair[/URL]

Old 12-18-2009, 01:43 PM  
Mikeman

The overall cost of construction with manufactured structures is often the same as stick built but the time required is greatly reduced and weather not a concern. With a concrete pad in place a manufactured home can be in place in a day. Even with SIP panel modular construction a house can be erected and weather sealed in 2-3 days.

Highly recommend working with a architect who has experience with modular homes if going that route or with established "local" builder for a manufactured home is one exists. Biggest limitation is on dimensions as panels or sections need to travel over the highways. This is where the help of an experience architect can be helpful in providing a good floor plan that will not feel like a mobile home. They can also help with site location and local permits. I have seen more than a few manufactured homes in my area that lost a lot of value just based on the site preparation and the way the house was laid out on the site.

There are manufacturers that can integrate solar and passive cooling in their houses, some have multi-level designs to make better use of a small lot.

Overall the automated builders have less material waste and tighter quality control as every step in the process is easily monitored in their factories.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:28 PM  
Trim Plus

For the money they are ok. But like our saing goes "The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long After the Sweetness of a Low Price is Forgotten". Sure there building them indoors, but they are cutting corners somewhere to come up with the lower prices. If its a custom home your looking for I wouldn't suggest that. And "poor quality" is not ment solely on workmanship, but also the products put into the home.

Leo
trimplus(dot)biz

Old 01-12-2010, 02:47 AM  
tractng

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Those are nice. I went into a friend's place in the boonies and it was really nice.

I wonder how the home insurance, lender and city codes handle these types of homes?

tony

Old 02-03-2010, 02:55 PM  
reprosser
Infrequent User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trim Plus View Post
For the money they are ok. But like our saing goes "The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long After the Sweetness of a Low Price is Forgotten". Sure there building them indoors, but they are cutting corners somewhere to come up with the lower prices. If its a custom home your looking for I wouldn't suggest that. And "poor quality" is not ment solely on workmanship, but also the products put into the home.

Leo
trimplus(dot)biz
Maybe the savings are more from economy of scale and volume. The few contacts I have had with modular homes - the material and craftsmanship were very good.

just sayin...

Quick Reply