DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > mudding problem on a wall

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-16-2005, 07:38 PM  
bigolow

Default mudding problem on a wall

I have a tall wall (16') in my entrance way which was dry walled with 8' sheets and mudded in the middle about halfway up the wall. Over the years this area has jutted out such that you could see a ridge about a 1/2" wide going all the way across the wall.

I repaired this by grinding the ridge down and then mudding the area using a 16" "banana" trowel. I applied about 3 coats and sanded after each until everything was smooth and feathered at the edges - I used my hand to check the feathering. To see what the repair would look like I painted the area with a couple of coats of latex paint. The problem is that I can still see the outline of the edges of the repair under the paint. Although I can see the outline, running my hand over them feels smooth.

Could this have happened because I did not use a primer coat first?

Is there something that I can do to correct this problem?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2006, 01:42 PM  
vanman250

I think what you are seeing in different paint tone from the mud sucking in the paint I would put a few coats of primer on the area and repaint

vanman250

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply