DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > Nails or Screws for Joist Sistering?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 11:43 PM  
1victorianfarmhouse

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks Neal. There is enough room, just barely. The piece you see is a little bigger than a 2x4. The piping will come out and be rerouted properly. Same with electrical, but for giggles, the light fixture you see in the background is in the back of a shower.

NMJ,

Thanks, I too have several HF tools, and they've held up to plenty of abuse.

As for the screws, one of the other reasons I like them is because they create less shock compared to pounding on nails. I've found some lag screws to break easily, there may be more quality issues with them than screws.

I've got the angle drill attachment, and have also used wrenches and sockets to tighten some screws where there wasn't much room.

When I get to this job, I will support the joist and take out the added parts, trim the joist to make the cut area as close to square as possible, then put in a carefully cut-to-size piece and sisters. And fill the damn holes with parts cut from dowels.

Thanks,

vince

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 12:15 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 858 Times on 766 Posts
Likes Given: 1485

You don't have much to attach to so anchoring a 2x? to the concrete wall under the ends wouldn't hurt, nice shower vent too?

Old 11-28-2012, 05:17 PM  
notmrjohn
Obnoxious Knowitalll

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Screws " create less shock compared to pounding on nails."
I'm with ya there. And when you, I mean when I screw up the installation with screws, its easier to take it apart and start over than when I screw it up with nails. Wait... I mean when I nail it down perfectly, I haven't screwed it up and then.... no, that ain't it either. When a lag screw breaks a nail, an emery board....awww screw it!

You're just over tigtening the lag screws. At least with driver driven screws the head usually gets buggered B4 it over tightens, in fact that's one reason Phillips heads were invented. The driver is suppossed to cam out before over tightening or breaking the head off. Of course when the head is buggered or broken off its hard to dissasemble something that got screwed up, or down or.... ummm, I think this is where I came in and every one else left.

[CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Measure twice, cut once.[/FONT][/CENTER]
[CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Look at the nail, not the hammer. Watch the fence, not the blade.[/FONT][/CENTER]
[CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS]If you hook your thumb over your belt you won't hit it with the hammer or leave it layin on the saw table.[/FONT][/CENTER]

Old 11-29-2012, 10:57 AM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmrjohn View Post
in fact that's one reason Phillips heads were invented. The driver is suppossed to cam out before over tightening or breaking the head off.
Yes, for automotive use.

Posidrives reduce this benefit/problem.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:09 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 858 Times on 766 Posts
Likes Given: 1485

The problem with phillips screws is it is hard to tell if it is really a phillips or reed and prince or the one from Japan. They all have a different angle.

Quick Reply