DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > need help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-31-2009, 09:59 AM  
hopeless

Default need help!

I know this is probably a long shot, but I'm looking for a little bit of guidance. We are looking to buy our first home. We found a house that meets all of our requirements (3 bed, 2.25 bath, two stall attached garage, good neighborhood, close to both jobs) that was a foreclosure and the bank is asking only for what they lost. It's way less expensive than what we originally were budgeting to spend.

The only problem is that there looks to be a crack in the basement foundation. It's a split level built in 1978 with concrete block foundation and a finished basement. I can't see any bowing on the inside walls but I am no expert. The only indication is that there are cracks that have obviously been filled on the outside. My question is: Have these cracks (picture attached) actually been fixed? Or have they just tried to cover it up? If they just tried to cover it up how much would I expect to pay to have it fixed for real? We're trying to see if it would be more cost effective to buy a home that is less expensive than we can afford but needs some work put into it vs. a house that is right at our maximum budget price but needs no work.

This is the only part of the house that needs work (the deck is in rough shape,too), everything else is up to date.

Last edited by hopeless; 05-31-2009 at 10:08 AM. Reason: added picture

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2009, 04:43 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 122 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 288

Default could be

You need a home inspection. The crack may be the least of your issues.
From what I can see in my adirondack chair....you may have an issue...or you may not.
What you are looking for is staining on the floor and around the wall area. Look for floor cracks and any cracks on an opposite wall.
There may be an easy answer, but hiring someone who looks at the issues and more is the only way to go when you spend money on a home.
Good luck.

Just My
Made in the

Old 06-02-2009, 06:14 AM  
handyguys

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to handyguys

Agreed - get a home inspection. If the owner (bank) may be selling "as is" and may not give you any $$$ allowances or discounts if something is uncovered by an inspection. That doesn't mean you shouldn't have one. You want to know what you are getting into. The cracking could be nothing to worry about, or, it could be a major headache.

The Handyguys Podcast [url]http://www.handyguyspodcast.com[/url]

Quick Reply