DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > New foundation, old house

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2006, 08:46 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 119 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 253

Default That's great!!

Sounds like things worked themselves out and your obviously ok with the results.
I (and others )cant wait to see the progress and the cool pictures. For those of you who have never done this it is a really cool thing to see the house in the air and excavators and trucks working under the house.
Front row is best......

Just My
Made in the

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2006, 06:38 AM  
Drivesme

You can sure tell you are in the South Sound by the looks of your yard!
I live there as well and that could be a pic of my yard!

Good luck on your project!
Buddy of mine has the same problem and is thinking of doing the samething.
He wants to rotate his house 90 degrees to get a better view of the mountain though.

Old 06-01-2006, 11:51 AM  
Begreen

Where are you at Drivesme? We're on Vashon Island.

Old 06-01-2006, 11:53 AM  
Begreen

The lift went well. Robbins crew was very professional. They terrorized the house the day before yesterday, and then yesterday, up it went. Estimated weight about 65 tons all sitting on 3 - 40ft. x 12" ibeams. We're 4 feet in the air for the next 3 weeks. Plumbing is now reconnected and we built a bridge to get into the house. Today will be cleanup and assesment. Excavator comes tomorrow. We should be pouring footings by the middle of next week.

The timing was good, both for the weather and the rot I suspected was happening due to the lack of any protective flashing before they put in the patio. We got to it just in time. The front sill will need a rebuild, but all in all the house is in good shape. Every 2x10 floor joist is one solid piece, 36 ft long!

We expect to return to the new foundation in 3 weeks. When it comes down, the house will sit 2 ft. higher. Then we get into landscaping to make it all look right again. Will post more pics as we progress.

house_in_air2_web.jpg   house_in_air_web.jpg  

Old 06-01-2006, 02:01 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 119 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 253

Default Great pics

This is what this site is about...progress!!!
Looks like it should. Are you putting in a full basement and a hatchway or access from the outside.
How about drains at the exterior. Let us know what the plans are....don't keep us in suspense...

Just My
Made in the

Old 06-01-2006, 03:00 PM  
Begreen

If it were 10 years ago, we might have gone for a full basement, but no real need now that the kids are heading for or already in college. It will just be a crawlspace. There is a basement pit for mechanicals, about 12 x 8, that has an interior hatch already. We'll also have an insulated exterior hatch entry to same space. Drains will be added after the foundation is finished.

Last edited by Begreen; 06-02-2006 at 08:04 AM.

Old 06-11-2006, 08:58 PM  
Begreen

Default progress report and question

Footings are now in and wall will be in by the end of the week. It's good to see some construction after all the destruction. We spent the day relocating the trunk supply duct for the heating. It went off to the side in order to clear the chimney. This created some 30 ft. duct runs. Not good with propane heat in an unheated space. With the trunk now in the center, the longest run will be 15' and of course it will now be insulated. So will the interior foundation walls.

This brings up a question for you all. The county is calling for 10.42 sq. ft. of vents for about 1500 sq. feet of crawl space; that's 21 vents! This seems ludicrous. Our foundation will look like a bunker with machine gun ports.

The house has had a total of 4 - 4x12" vents for the past 82 yrs without any issues. You can see one in the upper left of this picture. We have exceptionally dry soil and great drainage. Never a sign of water in the crawlspace and I close the vents in the winter. As I checkout greenbuilding sites and buildingscience.com I am finding that many are working to get code changed and in radon free areas like ours, recommending no vents at all and a tightly insulated crawlspace. This is the direction I am leaning towards.

What does one do when common sense runs into county code?

pouring-footings.jpg  

Last edited by Begreen; 06-11-2006 at 09:13 PM.

Old 06-11-2006, 09:17 PM  
Square Eye

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Begreen
What does one do when common sense runs into county code?

Do what the county says. It's by far cheaper to do it their way now, rather than later, when you thought you were done.

I agree that current building codes are a little on the extreme side on foundation vents, but we're living with it.

[URL="http://www.houserepairtalk.com/announcement.php?f=39&a=6"][size=3]The Ten Commandments of House Repair Talk[/size][/URL]

[URL="http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=289528&ck="]Square Eye's home page[/URL]

Old 06-11-2006, 11:54 PM  
Begreen

Actually, I was hoping for a little creative thinking on this. The county is wrong. It's not a little extreme, it's a lot extreme and at the home owner's expense. One shoe doesn't fit all. That is simply the wrong approach.

I am thinking of meeting their requirements another way. There will be a 2' x 3' crawlspace entry door. I'm thinking of making it a screen door temporarilly. Also thinking of adding two 18" x 30" windows to the north side (tallest foundation wall). Windows will be screened until county is gone, then will replace with glass block.

Last edited by Begreen; 06-12-2006 at 12:23 AM.

Old 06-12-2006, 05:45 AM  
Square Eye

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

We are held to the same standard here. 1 vent to every 150 sq.ft. I also think it's excessive. It's your home. Do what the county requires in whatever way you want.

When I started working in construction, we never put vents on the front of a house. Now county inspectors will refuse to pass an inspection if the vents aren't distributed as they see fit. I have actually had to lay pipe under porch slabs to vent the front of a house to suit the inspectors. One inspector tried to force me to vent a house foundation into the garage! Talk to your inspector before you do something that he may or may not pass. There's nothing like cutting out concrete to suit an inspector's opinion.

[URL="http://www.houserepairtalk.com/announcement.php?f=39&a=6"][size=3]The Ten Commandments of House Repair Talk[/size][/URL]

[URL="http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=289528&ck="]Square Eye's home page[/URL]

Quick Reply