DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > pier and beam and floor joist repair and leveling

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-20-2013, 11:59 AM  
bryce

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

"But how do i do it ?"

It looks like you house is all rotten. Wood is not structurally sound when it is rotten, it also produces mold. The white in your picture looks like mold or paint.
You should gut the whole house, remove the rotten wood, replace it with new struture... then start from there. Once the whole house is opened up you can see what is going on.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2013, 10:00 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 814 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 1407

A header is above the window, this stuff is below the window, so it is just filler. This window has been made bigger at some time you need to check the header above it. Above the window there should be a 2 ply header, today would be 2x10 supported each side with a jack stud and a king stud beside that. So when you have it open like you have you should see 2 studs on each side of the window with solid blocking right to the foundation. Your contractor didn't help this but the problem was already there. If the upstairs is platform framed as in the upstairs walls are built ontop of the floor then you can just build the temp wall, jack it up and reframe the window and wall. You should have your engineer come back and look at it and check you loads incase it needs more than a normal header.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:58 PM  
guyod

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Was the sill replaced on this wall? Either the walls are sinking or the studs under the window were jacked up. This is what happens when you try jacking up a house.
I think this wall needs to be redone from scratch. This means taking off the siding too. Once you take out studs and put in new ones you will need to nail the sheathing to the new studs. Sheathing is structural part of the house and with your house its needs all the strenght it can get.
First you need to determine if the wall needs to go up or the studs under the window needs to go down.
This is turning out to be a alot more than a DIY Project. I feel bad for you. The never ending project. Like neal said get that engineer back if he cant get there soon I would put up a temporary wall up asap just to be safe.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:25 AM  
NYSandyvictim

Likes Given: 6

Heres some better pics . There is a double 2x6 header above the window as well. The top wall plate is a pretty big beam too. At first i thought the top beam was rotted but theres a bunch of crappy looking shims on it that make it look that way. Its actually pretty solid. The reason im thinking the wall is falling and bowing is because the contractor cut the wall studs off the sill beam and never put them back on. All except for the middle triple stud in the center of the window which is still solid on the sill but now holding all the weight and since it has nowhere to go its trying to push outward. I temporarily reinforced the studs by putting it back on the sill but this has to get fixed soon as winter is coming up and right now we have no floors ,walls open and no heat in .

Old 10-25-2013, 04:02 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

The top of wall beam appears to have a join in the center of the window. My guess is the the three studs under the window used to be under the joint in those beams. the 2x6 header needs a stud under both sides that make it down to solid bearing, then you could rip all the junk out from under the window and rebuild it.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:43 PM  
NYSandyvictim

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
The top of wall beam appears to have a join in the center of the window. My guess is the the three studs under the window used to be under the joint in those beams. the 2x6 header needs a stud under both sides that make it down to solid bearing, then you could rip all the junk out from under the window and rebuild it.
so first i would build a temp wall about 2ft in front of the wall . What next? Should i remove the window? Then remove all the wood blocking the path of the new king and jack studs that will be put in down to the main bearing(sill beam)? Of course i will have to remove that bent header under the window . Thats what im probably most scared about. I have never seen a single 2x6 bend that much ,much less a double 2x6 . There must be a tremendous amount of weight on that double 2x6 right ? How should i go about removing that safetly?

Old 10-27-2013, 08:43 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

If the window isn't pinched in the framing I would remove it first. If you lift a little weight with your temp wall you should be able to take it al out without much problem. There must be a lump of something under those three studs for them to be still pushing up like that??

Old 10-28-2013, 09:30 PM  
PangioneDevelopers

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

So how has it been going on the job site ?

http://generalcontractorsbergencountynewjers.blogspot.com/

Old 10-29-2013, 05:40 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PangioneDevelopers View Post
So how has it been going on the job site ?

http://generalcontractorsbergencountynewjers.blogspot.com/
I don't think this man has a lot of time foir chit chat. He is in your neck of the woods perhaps you could drop in and lend a hand.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:09 PM  
NYSandyvictim

I have been waiting for a contractor to come back with the estimate to do the two walls .Wont know if im gonna tackle it myself until i hear back.
PangioneDevelopers if you do work in my area (queens ny) and are licenced i wouldnt mind you PM'ing me with a estimate for the two walls.

While im waiting i have been sistering more floor joists . i havent sistered the two joists directly under the microwave wall in the kitchen yet.I skipped those for now since im afraid to do them and cause they have that red support blocking i put under the cracked microwave wall screwed to them. I also found the shoddy contractor cut those original 2x10 joists off the sill beam and are now only on the sill by a 2ft long 2x4 screwed to the original 2x10 joist.

Last edited by NYSandyvictim; 10-30-2013 at 09:11 PM.

Quick Reply