DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > popping noise

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-20-2006, 08:41 AM  
K2eoj

In my area metal/strap wind bracing was popular in the 80's and 90's. These straps will make a popping noise when expanding or contracting. I built a house for myself in the 80's and put lots of extra strap bracing on it and got alot of extra popping noises. In the case of bracing making noise I don't believe there would be any real problems.
In the case of your rim joist it could just be sloppy framing like some of the others have said. K2

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2006, 07:41 PM  
Tony

I see a slight buckleon the outside. I neglected to let you know that there is a deck along the wall where the floor joist is off the rim joist. I had two people look at it and one said to screw through the deck band joist through the rim joist and into the floor joist from the outside. The other said to use and eye bolt and a 5 ton come along to pull the rim joist and floor joist back together and then install joist hangers????

Old 03-23-2006, 08:04 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 119 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 257

Default Well tont...

Sounds like you have a long term problem occuring.
How high off the ground is your deck? How big is it? Does it have joist hangers.HOW MANT JOISTS ARE SHORT?
Is there any decay of wood in this area from the outside? Do you have some metal flashing at the deck and band joist connection?

If your deck is pulling more than one floor joist away from the band joist you WILL need a competent person besides the engineer you had look at it.
If they could not answer this question for you they are not qualified!!

Some engineers drive trains!!

InspectorD

Just My
Made in the

Old 03-23-2006, 08:07 PM  
Tony

I should have told you there is a deck where the joist are short. I put a level on the basement wall in the general area and it out of plumb.

Old 03-23-2006, 08:11 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Default Forgot,,,, you are Tony.....

Hey,, I love the Idea of anything and a 5 ton come along!!
Be careful of just scewing things back together,, that's where screwed up comes from.

Are your deck posts out of plumb?

I know 20 questions!!!!

InspectorD

Just My
Made in the

Old 03-23-2006, 08:15 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Default hmmm..

Does the foundation have cracks or is there a doorway in the area under the deck, like a patio door?
Again,,,, is there any rot or decay?

Just My
Made in the

Old 03-25-2006, 05:50 PM  
Tony

The floor joist are off the rim joist the width of the deck. However the deck appears to be "propertly built" per the guy who came by.The deck is 15' x 10', it does have joist hangers on the 2' x 10' joist. A carpenter came by and said that thre was no eveidence of rot. he said the deck has no flashing and that there needs to be metal flashing, I asked to have ice and water shield as well. He said he would remove one deck board and a couple of pieces of vinyl siding to installflashing. He also said that whre he could he would he would install joist hangers on the inside. He also said he would lag-bolt the deck in other than the (3) places as it is now. he also noticed that the door leading to the deck has a loose sill so he will replace the door and any rot he should find once he removes the siding.???????

Old 03-26-2006, 08:30 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Default Be ready..

Without seeing this area, It sounds like rot.
With no flashing at the deck since 1978.The deck is pulling off the house. The nails holding the joists to the band joist are most likely gone.The heads of the nails and the exterior of the wood have probably decayed away.
Looking from the inside you may not notice it that much, but when your carpenter pulls the deck ledger off the house , it may be worse than you originally anticipated.
The good thing about it is you will finally get it done correctly(keep us posted).And no deck collapsed, that was most likely next.

The popping in the winter may have been the deck moving away from the house.From water behind the ledger board, Freeze ...thaw....wieght of snow on deck...wind... any other thoughts?

Let us know what the carpenter thinks is the fiX..

Inspectord

Just My
Made in the

Old 03-31-2006, 10:00 AM  
onyx

Default Me Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony
Last july I moved into a house built in 1978. As winter approached I notice that there was a popping noise from ceilng to floor especially in the early mornings. A went online and got some info as the floors started to squeak and I just noticed that the floor joist came loose from the rim joist. An engineer came out and gave no real solution. Whats going on and how can I fix it?

I also live in a 'popping' house - although no obvious joist or framing reasons.
A large 1-story built in 1959 - we have been there for 6 years now - and the area above the master bedroom gives loud popping noises -especially late at night (I suspect as the house cools ). I have inspected from roof to crawl-space several times and find no obvious signs of settling or movement. I have been monitoring the plumb of walls and ceiling for the 6 years with no significant changes. I read in another Forum that this noise is normal over time as wood dries and shrinks.

Old 05-07-2006, 05:09 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Default What was the answer?

Sometimes it's nice to find out what the outcome is.....Onyx, do you have a metal roof? They tend to make loud 'gunshots' when they expand or contract with temperature changes.

Just My
Made in the

Quick Reply