DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > Retaining Wall over Culvert Pipe...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2014, 10:17 AM  
NorPlan

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuzzat? View Post
And if the slope equals the angle of repose for your soil (around 35 degrees up from the horiz) there will be no pressure on the wall.

To allow for Sloping is not necessary...When I widened the Laneway the existing retaining wall stands 4ft. High..The area filled in to widen is entirely Crushed Stone from 2" size down...My idea whether poured concrete or rock filled cages is to anchor whatever with steel fence posts pounded down below the frost line....

Remember to Measure Twice , Cut a Once..lol..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2014, 11:26 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Liked 353 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Sounds like you have a good plan then. Around here I plow a lot of snow and the drive ways with deep ditches to cross and steep sides to the crossing, people are always misjudging and driving off the sides and getting stuck including the guy doing the plowing on occasion.

We have a lot of wire baskets with rocks but I don’t see them used on driveways. Might be because of looks. We use them mostly to control erosion on stream banks. Go with the poured concrete and get the footings down way below the frost depth.

The angle of repose idea I see you don’t like.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:12 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 850 Times on 759 Posts
Likes Given: 1466

Wire basket system should work but remember you are building a retaining wall so do your home work. If you were buying a premade concrete unit, it comes complete with a footing that goes back under the driveway about 3 ft. Do your homework.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:11 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 124 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 302

Default Great Idea

But bring it one step further. You dont need to por concrete, you could just glue it together. And these blocks are much thicker than any wall you will pour and eventually lean over.
Just order the ones you want, and set them on a bed of gravel. They crane them in right off the truck for you.
Done , in an afternoon....

http://prmconcrete.com/block.htm

Good luck.

Just My
Made in the

Old 03-25-2014, 08:19 AM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectorD View Post
But bring it one step further. You dont need to por concrete, you could just glue it together. And these blocks are much thicker than any wall you will pour and eventually lean over.
Just order the ones you want, and set them on a bed of gravel. They crane them in right off the truck for you.
Done , in an afternoon....

http://prmconcrete.com/block.htm

Good luck.
I've seen these blocks everywhere. As long as we're on the subject, how high can they be stacked before you start worrying about them eventually leaning?

Old 03-25-2014, 11:30 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 124 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuzzat? View Post
I've seen these blocks everywhere. As long as we're on the subject, how high can they be stacked before you start worrying about them eventually leaning?
Depends on the soil underneath.. and the drainage behind. But they have been installed up to 30 feet in some areas, they just step them back as they go up the embankment. Some are keyed and some are fastened with glues or mortar.

Depends on the Block,

http://www.earthretaining.com/installers.php

Just My
Made in the

Wuzzat? Likes This 
Old 03-25-2014, 11:56 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Liked 353 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 115

We have something similar around here but mostly we see what we call mafia blocks stacked up to hold a bank. I have seen them at the ends of drives like the OP needs also. They are made from hot loads returning and extras and are quite inexpensive but a PITA to move around without proper equipment.

If we get one that’s around 400 pounds light we kindly decline taking that one.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:26 PM  
NorPlan

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectorD View Post
Depends on the soil underneath.. and the drainage behind. But they have been installed up to 30 feet in some areas, they just step them back as they go up the embankment.
. The existing wall is 48 inches Vertical from the top of the Culvert Pipe straight up......You guys are giving me a Reality Check and I Thank a you for that...All very good ideas that are Just Pricing me into Never Never Land...lol...

And Yes Drainage will be a concern because , water does pool at the top edge of the wall...Obviously the Laneway slopes that way so that will have to be addressed as well..I'll have to run some heavy duty PVC piping down and poke through the wall, with a drain cap on the top... Were holding back crushed stone, no earth....

Let Me put this out there..As the existing wall was built using Non Treated Wood..If I Rebuilt the Wall using Pressure Treated would , spraying a sealer on the wood when the wall is up...What would the life span be before it too would show signs of Breaking Down ?? Thanks

Remember to Measure Twice , Cut a Once..lol..

Old 03-25-2014, 02:50 PM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorPlan View Post
What would the life span be before it too would show signs of Breaking Down ?? Thanks
Lifespan = Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF)
and this info is very hard to get.
From a previous post, if the company says 20 years or longer it's 50-50 that the company will be bankrupt before the term is up.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:37 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 850 Times on 759 Posts
Likes Given: 1466

The treated wood rated for underground and should be good for 30+ years, no sealer needed.
You can tell if it's rated for underground as it will have rows of knife cuts on all four sides to get a deeper treatment and any steel like nails has to be hot dipped galvinized as this stuff with water will eat steel in no time.

Quick Reply