DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > sagging ceiling

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-19-2014, 10:44 PM  
slownsteady
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 139 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 185

Awesome. This gives me the clearest idea of what a beam-above-joist could look like:

I snagged the pix from the webpage that neal linked to. Thanks neal
Whatever i do, I will be bracing the overlap where the joists meet. I know the ends are too short - just a few inches of overlap - and that is part of the problem.
Still waiting for the chilly weather to pass, but keeping busy in my basement...

screen-shot-2014-03-20-12.40.12-am.png  

Last edited by slownsteady; 03-19-2014 at 10:47 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2014, 11:15 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 813 Times on 726 Posts
Likes Given: 1400

It looks like they have nailed blocks to the joists and then a 2x on each side of them. The engineers always want the timbers nailed together so I would just put the same blocks on the outside of the beam. If you make sure you are crown up and snug the ceiling up under the beam, you should be good.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:19 AM  
guyod

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

If you are following neal's advice and are nailing beams together I would go with this approach. You will have to remove some drywall to do this.

If you are getting this inspected an inspector would like this alot better. They love brackets. I think they all get a monthly check from Simpson Strong Ties.

If going the other way I would stick with the seperate beams and also go crazy with nails and structural screws. Attaching a 2x4 length wise to a 3" wide beam will not work unless you go crazy with L brackets.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:27 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyod View Post
If you are following neal's advice and are nailing beams together I would go with this approach. You will have to remove some drywall to do this.

If you are getting this inspected an inspector would like this alot better. They love brackets. I think they all get a monthly check from Simpson Strong Ties.

If going the other way I would stick with the seperate beams and also go crazy with nails and structural screws. Attaching a 2x4 length wise to a 3" wide beam will not work unless you go crazy with L brackets.
Engineer like hangers so they can see if all the nails are there in a glance , with blocks they have to count them. In my world the smallest beam is 2 2x10s nailed together ,3 nails 16 oc
Old 03-20-2014, 09:59 AM  
slownsteady
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 139 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 185

So far, I have only found joist hangers meant for flush installation. Do these hangers with the 'long ears' have a different name?

Old 03-20-2014, 10:19 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Your local lumberyard, if they don't have something that works for you they will have a simpsons catalog.

simpson-jha450-75-joist-hanger-long-leg-16749-p.gif  

Old 03-20-2014, 08:41 PM  
guyod

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

You may not find exactly what you are looking for but if you find something that has 3 nail holes on each side higher than 5 1/2 inches(ceiling joist) you should be fine since a 2x6 joist hanger is only held on by 3 nails on each side. Higher the better obviously. Top nail should be at least 4" up from bottom of beam. A couple nail plates spaced out on beam wouldnt hurt, just to be safe, to prevent beam from splitting.
Special order will probably be expensive
If you can find a true 2x12 joist hanger I would feel safe with it even if you have to drill an extra nail hole. Joist hangers at big box stores around me are 2x10/2x12 so they are only 8" or 9" high.

Quick Reply