DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > Sealing External Foundation Wall

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 01:40 PM  
Jhay_x7

Default Sealing External Foundation Wall

I live in a 70 year old home that has a few leaks in the foundation along the back wall. There is a concrete wall along the back wall that is 36" high where earth comes up to about 16" on the outside. The issue is that they used 4x4 blocks at the bottom of the concrete wall for some reason and now they leak a small amount of water around them. Should I just tar the outside of the wall or try to remove the wooden blocks and fill with cement?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2012, 11:33 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 747 Times on 667 Posts
Likes Given: 1304

The old way of keeping forms the right size was to put a block in and tie it tight with wire, as the concrete went in they took the blocks out, I guess your guy just let them fall to the bottom.
If you,re going to dig it up and waterproof, I would remove the blocks and fill the holes. Put drainage around the bottom while you are there.
BTW Welcome to the site.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply