DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > Seasonal water issues (basement)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2014, 09:34 PM  
Jimmy

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyod View Post
With a creek that close to his house is it really a good idea to try and pump as much of the ground water out as you can. I would think over time the water will create a channel from the creek into the pump from the thousands of gallons of water he will be pumping. Turning a few wet spots into a few feet of water if the pump stops working. I would put a couple coats of drylock on walls and floor and see what happens.
I have a spring stream about 20 feet from my house house and when it is running so is my sumb pump.
Already did the drylock. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2014, 09:05 PM  
slownsteady
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 148 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 200

I used the dimpled plastic on one wall of my house that was showing sign of seasonal weeping. It has been working like a charm.

Jimmy, if you do this from the outside I would advise waiting for the summer. Is your nearby creek seasonal? You most likely want to wait if that is the case.

Once i had the trench along the wall dug out, i had to wait about three weeks for the block to dry completely before I could start waterproofing. The block wall was visibly damp when first dug, but I was really surprised that it stayed that dark gray, damp color for so long. Some spots were worse than others, and I even put a blower in place to speed things up. Once the wall turned the lighter gray that is more familiar, then I applied a fiberglass sealer to the wall and put the dimpled plastic against that. A drain pipe and gravel at the bottom of the trench completed the system.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:28 PM  
Jimmy

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

The creek does usually dry up for a few weeks in late July early August. When it is high is when I have problems. I am aprehensive about loosening the soil on the outside as I think that will invite more water than placing a drain below the basement floor.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:06 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 838 Times on 749 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
The creek does usually dry up for a few weeks in late July early August. When it is high is when I have problems. I am aprehensive about loosening the soil on the outside as I think that will invite more water than placing a drain below the basement floor.
If you are thinking, if you disturb the soil you may be asking for trouble, keep in mind that the soil around your house has already been disturbed. I understand why people don't want to dig on the outside, along with all the other arguements, it can be a dangerous place to work. But the arguements for doing it on the outside should also be considered. On the outside you could oversize the pipe and add a second pipe for the downspouts, waterproof the wall and never worry about the weight of mud pushing on the wall.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:23 PM  
slownsteady
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

What kind of soil do you have? When you say "disturbing the soil" are you worried that the walls need the support or that the water may get worse? 'Cuz if you do it right, the new system will carry the water away.

Last edited by slownsteady; 03-11-2014 at 07:27 PM.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:58 PM  
guyod

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Is the water in the creek higher than the basement floor?

Old 03-14-2014, 02:42 PM  
Jimmy

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

The water is sometimes (infrequently) higher than the basement floor. It is right now, but I am still dry for now. The five feet of frost we had this year might be helping for now.

I have 12 inches of nice top soil and then hard clay. My concern is by loosening soil on the outside of the foundation I will create another "point of least resistance" for outside water (especially ground water). Since I don't have the ability to drain a foundation drain to daylight without a sump pump and draining to the sewer is against local code, I am apprehensive about introducing more water to the drain system than necessary to dry the basement. The gutters are already drained to the creek via solid pipe.

It would probably be easier for me to do the outside. I am an equipment operator for a living and could dig around the house with an excavator in no time, as opposed to lugging concrete up and down the stairs. I fear that a high water table is my problem though, and I don't think this would correct water pushing up from under the floor.

That is why I am leaning towards the drain under the floor. Does this sound logical?

Thanks to everyone for the input.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:57 PM  
guyod

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

If it was me I would install a sump pit without the perimeter pipe. I wouldn't want to collect more water than needed to keep basement dry. There should be a layer of gravel under slab that will drain water to pit.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:59 PM  
slownsteady
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
The water is sometimes (infrequently) higher than the basement floor. It is right now, but I am still dry for now. The five feet of frost we had this year might be helping for now.

I have 12 inches of nice top soil and then hard clay. My concern is by loosening soil on the outside of the foundation I will create another "point of least resistance" for outside water (especially ground water). Since I don't have the ability to drain a foundation drain to daylight without a sump pump and draining to the sewer is against local code, I am apprehensive about introducing more water to the drain system than necessary to dry the basement. The gutters are already drained to the creek via solid pipe.

It would probably be easier for me to do the outside. I am an equipment operator for a living and could dig around the house with an excavator in no time, as opposed to lugging concrete up and down the stairs. I fear that a high water table is my problem though, and I don't think this would correct water pushing up from under the floor.

That is why I am leaning towards the drain under the floor. Does this sound logical?

Thanks to everyone for the input.
So where are you going to pump that water to? That part would be same whether the drain is under the house or beside it. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but hydrostatic pressure would be responsible for pushing water up through the floor. If that a problem now? It may require a separate solution from waterproofing the walls.

Old 03-14-2014, 04:05 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 838 Times on 749 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

It does sound like pressure from below and I suggested the dimpled sheet on the inside to make sure there was no future problem with the walls. The but is hiow strong is the block wall compared to a concrete wall, around here we never see block wall but when the soil is clay the dimpled sheet is required on the outside and when you have sandy soil it is not required. The difference is the weight of the soil pushing on the foundation. A foundation wall is not a retaining wall. If I had access to a digger I would make that discussion last about as long as a N.Y. minute.
Depending on depth, if you can't drain to daylight, perhaps you could a foot higher, then I would run a pipe around to a pump, run a foot of gravel cover the ditch with poly and round another pipe to daylight. The higher pipe would drain water coming down thru the soil and the pump would deal with the lower water that would be a problem in the basement.

Quick Reply