DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > Settling Foundation crack to be repaired on the inside or outside?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 07:05 AM  
YoungApprentice

Default Settling Foundation crack to be repaired on the inside or outside?

Hello...I am new to this Forum and I am hoping to get so experienced feedback. I've tried looking up similar threads with my problem with no success so if anyone wants to point me in the right direction please feel free.

My problem is I have a vertical foundation crack that I'm hoping is just a settling crack and water has slowly penetrated through the foundation crack and on a really wet day slowly trickles into the basement.

The house is a back split and the crack begins right on the "Split" part of the house (where the main floor splits into a basement and upstairs. I will post some photos and possible more later on.

My plan after a bit of research on the internet is to dig a trench (8ft down) right down to the weeping tile on the outside of the house and patch the crack on the outside of the house.

I've been told it can be done from the inside of he house but I feel like to do a really good job it should be taken care of on the outside.

Does any body have any experience with this sort of problem?

My plan after the patch is finished is to make sure my house is draining properly away from this crack as well. Photos to follow but please let me know if anyone one has some helpfull input!

Thansk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2013, 12:24 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 844 Times on 754 Posts
Likes Given: 1460

Welcome to the site. I think you have it covered. The only thing I would add is you will need a plan for shoring up the trench, that can be a dangerous place to be working.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply