DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > Sewage Under House: How To Remove Smell

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-24-2007, 06:02 PM  
rajivsab

Default Sewage Under House: How To Remove Smell

Hi, the main sewage drain under my house developed a leak and although now fixed I am left with the smell of sewage that I would like to neutralize safely. I spread an household antibacterial solution (Lysol) to take care of the bacteria and it is reasonably dry, although a little damp down there. My plumber recommended I spread Lime under the house. Are there any powder products I can spread down under the house crawl space to neutralize the odor without harming the occupants? Calcium Oxide but I read a bulletin from NJ saying this is harmful for the lungs.

Many thanks for a speedy response.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2007, 08:02 AM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 95 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Might sound a little strange but, try Tidy Cat cat litter.

Old 11-25-2007, 04:11 PM  
rajivsab

Default What Type of Lime to use?

Lowe's has a 50 lb bag, Type "S" Hydrated Lime made by Chemstar used for mixing in Concrete I believe. The link is:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=3698-286-1118-60

And then there's the "Garden Lime" variety 5lb bag which is less toxic I believe.

Here's that link:

http://www.espoma.com/content.aspx?type=p&intCategoryID=2&id=8

Which one to use for my purpose? I believe the Chemstar one will need a mask and careful precaution. I do have 2 ground heaters sitting in the crawl space and that stuff may come into the house so maybe the garden variety will be safer for the occupants. What do you think?

many thanks.

Old 02-15-2008, 04:33 PM  
BLZBUB

Do you have pets? If so, you might want to stay away from the lime. The safest and most effective odor remover is and has always been sodium bicarbonate...baking soda. Restaurant suppliers have it in bulk.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:20 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

I would recommend using the hydrated lime (use a mask) and give it plenty of ventilation, even fan-forced.
Glenn

Old 02-17-2008, 08:50 PM  
triple D

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default How much room?

What would work well is to spread a light dust of lime. Then a new black, thick, plastic over the crawl, end to end, side to side, with a min. 3' overlap anywhere necessary. This is just about a guarantee! Remember this is only one man's opinion, good luck.....

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]See my work-Check out my album. "Git 'Er Done":D [/FONT][/COLOR]

Last edited by triple D; 02-18-2008 at 08:29 PM.

Quick Reply