DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > someone moved my beams!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2008, 05:58 AM  
Eliz2008

Default someone moved my beams!!

First time here and am working on little knowledge. Our house is 9 years old. We have a big open basement and are slowly starting to finish it. Recently we had dri core flooring installed and the exterior walls framed up. During the installation of the flooring, the fellows moved the support posts - took them down and moved them andn then put them back. In one case they had taken one down and left it down for a day or two. Didn't think much of it at the time, but during Christmas cleaning the other day, our house has definelty shifted. I've noted slight separation in molding, trims and floors where one type (ceramic) meets another (wood) and trims and mislaigmemtnof doors - especeilly near the staircase - big crack on the driwall/paint and a separation between a stair post and the floor of about 1/4". In somecase it seems off by 1/4" or more. The support posts are back in place. However, there were two support posts near the stairs leading downstairs. The guys framed up around the stairs to make ready for walls and reinstalled the support posts between the 2 x 4 framing around the stairs. The posts are now about a foot from there original locations.
Does any of this make sense? I can get pictures to post if anyone is iterest in advising. Question is if we put the posts back in there origal position, could we rememedy some of the separaion we are seeing? Is is accetpable to have suppport posts sandwiched bewteen 2 x 4 framing or is it best to have it on the cement slab? Is it safe to temporarily move a support posts without installing another temporatry support?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2008, 06:40 AM  
ToolGuy

I see posts sandwiched in 2x4 framed walls all the time, even though they protrude a bit. Also, I could never imagine moving a supporting member without teporary support. And finally, there are footings beneath those posts, so they shouldn't be moved without a new footing to support them.

Others here know more about these matters, but these are just some of my observations. The other guys will be along in short time, I'm sure with a lot to say, but photos are always helpful. I hear they're worth 1000 words.

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B]~ ToolGuy ~[/B][/COLOR]

[I]Save money on tools at [URL="http://mytoolbox.net"]MyToolbox.net[/URL]
[/I]

Old 01-07-2008, 07:00 AM  
Eliz2008

Thanks! When I get the pics, should I post them in this thread or put up a new one? (new here)

Old 01-07-2008, 08:34 AM  
ToolGuy

In this thread is fine. Also, you may want to put them on PhotoBucket.com or similar photo sharing site, as uploading attachments to this site is a little tricky.

[/I]

Old 01-07-2008, 06:29 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 122 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 286

Default Pictures

So they put down the drycore and never mentioned REMOVING support posts.
Why didn't they cut around them like the rest of us.
Did they install the new wall and posts on the new drycore ? These are not structural panels . Sounds like the damage has already been done. Did they cut the posts to fit back in after the house sagged a bit. You need to get those folks back to answer some of these questions and figure out what you can all agree upon. Yelling and calling them names is no good...it only attracts lawyers.
Get us some pictures and we will ALL help as much as possible, thats the kind of folks we are.

Just My
Made in the

Old 01-07-2008, 08:13 PM  
ToolGuy

Quote:
...Yelling and calling them names is no good...
Very worth mentioning. I know in these situations it's hard to keep things civil, but if you think it through rationally, they'll be more inclined to correct matters as much as possible if they feel you're working with them.

On the other hand, they have to know they're in deep doo doo if they jerk you around. There is no way they did that and didn't know they were causing damage, so I wouldn't count on their integrity.

Speak softly, but carry a big stick.

[/I]

Old 01-08-2008, 06:12 AM  
Eliz2008

Tool guy, the posts are the metal adjutable support posts and they did put them back, except for the posts that they sandwiched between the 2 x 4's. Those posts are not quite where they were oringally. So there's nothing to be done about the "offness" of the house now. Since I don't know where the posts were originally adjusted, we would only be guessing at putting them back at the same height as before.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:01 AM  
Eliz2008

Default someone moved my beams WITH PICS

I posted some picutres in my gallery of the results of the beams being moved, Any thing I can do to rectify it? Damage done? Any worreis about safety? All comments appreciated.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:36 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Hello Eliz:
I would want to move the trim and make it line up. The posts all appear to be still supporting the beams. Use fiberglass tape on the drywall and re-mud and finish it. The 4 X 4 above the beam obviously is not suppoting any weight, we can put trim around it or caulk the crack. I would lean more to the trim because of the problem of matching the caulk to the surfaces there. I don't see any major problems here.
Glenn

Old 01-08-2008, 05:29 PM  
Eliz2008

Thanks glennjanie. I was realy cocnred abut the safety. I guess as long as we don't move beams again we're safe. When we finish the basements I'll make sure that they are not moved again!!!
So the post within the 2 x 4 is okay?

Quick Reply