DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > someone moved my beams!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2008, 05:58 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 120 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 272

Default Hmmm

I have to disagree with Glenn on this one. First ,What does the local town building inspector say? They will give you the ok as long as you got a permit, you know for your saftey. Then you can sleep at night. I see they moved a post off the flush carrying beam and installed the wall underneath, This will hold some of the weight , but when the wood shrinks down you will end up with cracking and settlement again. This is why we usually leave things like concrete filled metal posts where they are .

I also see they installed the walls on the drycore, like I said before, these are not structural, they are for keeping an air space under the floor , that is something I would change.
Good luck with this and let us know what happens.

Just My
Made in the

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2008, 10:59 AM  
Eliz2008

Thanks Inspector D. DriCore folks told us that we could put walls on top of the dricore, but I'm sure they did not mean load bearing walls.
I'm going to have the posts in the 2 x 4 moved back (with temporay supports put in place first.
Any other suggestions or tips?
I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:04 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 120 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 272

Default Same as before...

It also looks as though the metal posts are sitting on the 2x4 bottom plate which is on top of the drycore. Those posts need to go to the concrete floor and be directly fastened to the beam. The old post locations would have had a peir built in under the concrete floor to distribute the weight above according to the house engineering. Moving those posts creates loads in the wrong areas and since you installed the drycore....you will not be able to see any cracks which start to form.
I am not trying to alarm you, but this is just the types of things I can see causing issues down the road. Foundation beams and bearing walls are the starting point of your home. When we start to modify them without understanding the engineering which was involved in the beginning, you end up with problems . That is why we have Building inspectors to help out when we get ideas of updating our houses. Having been a builder for 25 years I understand not wanting one coming around, and having to pay the man. But when you don't get them involved, you can end up with serious problems.

Enginerring of bearing points is a big issue with me. These points are not arbitrary or just there to hold up your house for everyday living.
These areas of the home only need one weak link in a major storm or catastophy once in your life. Then they fail, and you are stuck under the house when you needed it to hold together. We have all seen that one home in the tornado still standing....we just cannot figure out why. Well I know why, it is because it was built to withstand that issue, was not modified at all. and had a good keeper upper to stay healthy.
Just like everything else in life, only the strong survive.

Getting off my soapbox now.
Hope that helps, if not I'm sure I will hear it......

Just My
Made in the

Quick Reply