DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > Stone and Cement Foundation Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-30-2010, 04:30 PM  
JoanM

Default Stone and Cement Foundation Questions

I have a house that is over 100 years old. The basement walls seem to be made of large stones perhaps flagstone? in cement. There are holes in the basement walls and mice are getting in. Water also comes in and I do have a sump pump. I want to address the issue of mice coming in and find out what else I could do about waterproofing. Do I call a mason? I have read lots of information about waterproofing companies and frequently the comments say that one should not bother painting or stuccoing or doing anything on the inside of the basement walls. Is that correct. This is clearly not a finished basement but I would like it to be a much tigher basement. Whom should I call? How do I get this fixed? Is this going to cost tens of thousands of dollars? I do not have a lot of money to spend on this. Thanks for whatever help you can provide.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2010, 01:28 AM  
johnmwentz

The most effective means of limiting the damages, that are caused by rodents is rodent-proof construction. Since, your house is about 100 years old,you can mix broken glass or steel wool in with cement to seal the hole or an opening, from where the rats enter your basement.For this, first of all, you will have to locate the entry points to seal them. If you don't like to spend much on it, you can at least try of using Concrete crack injection to fill up the cracks and holes.

Check out the [URL="http://concrete-repair-guide.blogspot.com/"]Concrete Repair Guide[/URL] for any DIY Help for [URL="http://www.roklinsystems.com/"]Concrete Repair[/URL]

Old 08-17-2010, 10:28 AM  
itsreallyconc

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

even less expensive would be stuffing the holes w/steel wool after 1st injecting foam insulation-in-a-can not to be confused w/' hair-in-a-can ',,, you should be able to get away w/costs far under $ 1,000's

ck under ' waterproofing ' in the yellow pages OR google,,, we just finished an 1850's stone foundation - not difficult work.

caution - many ' waterproofing ' companies sell smoke & mirrors so do your homework FIRST ! ! !

Quick Reply