DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum

DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum (
-   Framing and Foundation (
-   -   top plate for support post (

Greg Giles 08-26-2009 04:37 PM

top plate for support post
I have a metal support post that I wish to use to replace an old cedar post under a floor joist in my basement. I have the post (which has a heavy, threaded rod in the end to adjust to fit the correct height), but I cannot find a dimpled metal plate for it to rest against at its top end where it would actually support the floor joist. . These are not available at Home Depot or any hardware store in town. Where do you go to buy these things?

glennjanie 08-26-2009 08:20 PM

Welcome Greg:
Any small piece of metal will do for the top, just so you don't let the bolt slide off as you raise it. Get ready for some more comments on this post; what you are using is called a basement jack and firemen hate them with a passion. It seems they are more subject to the heat of a fire and will collapse, but then, I didn't build my house to burn anyway.

911handyman 09-06-2009 03:18 PM

Why not put a post back in there, jack it up with the jack, cut new post and install.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:12 PM.