DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > The use of river rock and broken concrete bits

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-24-2010, 12:10 PM  
HighDesertHomeOwner

Default The use of river rock and broken concrete bits

as filler to reduce the concrete volume needed, I mean.

I am talking about a slab floor construction common or standard in Southern Cal newer homes, not concrete foundation with floor joists.

There are a lot of give away broken concrete pieces and river rock. Can I use them to fill the concrete slab?

My thinking is that it is OK as long as the pieces and river rock are small, say 3" thick and 4-5" in other dimensions, or smaller, and using them in the middle non-weight bearing section of the slab.

The weight bearing sections (perimeter) of the concrete slab will not have such filler.

Any opinion. I found it hard to believe that such filler will "sink" later once the slab has cured.

Also I plan to add such (the smallest) pieces 3" or smaller into the cement mixer and not just pour concrete mix over the filler pieces. I think this way the fillers with adhere to the concrete better. Will the mixer take it without falling apart? Mine is a small 3.25 cu feet mixer.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2010, 02:15 PM  
granite-girl

Kinda sounds cool. What kind of area are you talking about & how big ? Pictures would be great when you are finished..... that is if the powers that be on here say it can be done.
Good Luck

[URL="http://www.supremesurfacecleaner.com/"]http://www.supremesurfacecleaner.com/[/URL]

[URL="http://bathroom.remodelingindianapolis.com/"]http://bathroom.remodelingindianapolis.com/[/URL]

Old 11-24-2010, 06:10 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 122 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 300

Default ok

I would suggest trying a "test Patio" before you do it. Usually anything up to 3 inches is the limit for aggreagate size, it all depends on your mixture. The stuff from the yards (professional) has 3/4 rock unless you specifiy different.
Try for a mix that is able to be built into a baseball type consistency, this tends to have less water and more portland mix. This should create a higher strenth PSI concrete. The reason is you want to be over 2500, but with a mixer this is hard to guage if you have not done this before.

These are some concrete folks around, they may chime in too, just my

Just My
Made in the

Old 11-27-2010, 05:52 AM  
itsreallyconc

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

don't be a cheapskate,,, by the time you hustle about finding broken conc you'll have wasted more time, gas, & vehicle wear & tear than you've saved,,, river stone's smooth - not a good candidate for inclusion into conc UNLESS you're 'seeding' it into the top for a decorative effect.

its impossible to duplicate the quality of conc from anyone's redi-mix plant so why anyone needs to mix their own mud's usually beyond me but understand economics of small deliveries from plants.

Quick Reply