DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > Weeping tile installation

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2014, 06:46 AM  
Jungle

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 31

The problem is the dirt is piled so high there is no way to get around with the skid steer.
So i'll just use the many rocks that are around. Put some gravel in and go down and shovel it bit in.

I guess the gutter pipe should sit right on top of it.

I realize the gravel is an aggregate because it creates a bit air pocket around the foundations.

Some of the footer seems damaged so gaps around there. I am thinking hit with the gap foam first, then trim any extra and paint with the blueseal which is suppose to stick to foam.

I found a good web page that explains it. https://pro.homeadvisor.com/article.show.Foundation-Drainage.13702.html

Last edited by Jungle; 07-02-2014 at 01:10 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2014, 07:12 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 789 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 1350

They don't usually seal the footing as that is below the floor inside.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:20 PM  
Jungle

Really? might as well seal them with the gap fill and blue seal. Start the gravel there.

I guess i can use that same gravel for the bed of patio stones?
I better get some more gravel while have the skid steer handy. I think 4' x 100sq ft, i'll work out a design... so what's that a yard and half all together?

How long do you think the back and the gravel will take? Maybe i can get the skid steer at 10am, then the next morning they can deliver the pea drive way gravel. Then i can do the drive as well in the same rental.

Last edited by Jungle; 07-02-2014 at 01:24 PM.

Old 07-02-2014, 04:23 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

4' x 100sq ft, i'll work out a design... so what's that a yard and half all together?
sounds close

Old 07-04-2014, 10:11 AM  
Jungle

Well i washed the footers today. There are weird chunks of concrete and gaps in a few places.

I'm think it is better to put it on the footer, the old tiles are still bellow the foot, not easy to get out. I get the feeling the water will go towards that corner of the footer.

Also since there is still not much water coming in, even with lots of washing right in holes etc. It is amazing how much dirt is in some holes, also the algae sludge on the one wall was no doubt the problem with the smell.
It maybe he did not pump the septic or add enzymes when they switched over and so it oozed around the foundation wall. Perhaps just bacteria build up and poor drainage.

So what should i do about these chunks, maybe the pic is not that good but it is about 4-6" high a few of them. 1) try and remove them, doubtful 2) put the pipe beside them 3) build corner pipe that goes around the chunks but keep close to the footer corner. 4) Put the pipe bellow the footer, beside the old tiles, means some more hand digging.

File Type: jpg ABC_1477.jpg (107.5 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Jungle; 07-04-2014 at 10:16 AM.

Old 07-04-2014, 02:41 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

They have done what we call mono pour when you fill the footings and walls at the same time. We fill the footing first and wait a while for that to harden up but sometimes if the footing isn't set up, it will start to push up out of the footing and that what you have with those lumps. We have had a fountain where the whole wall full of concrete come out like that, just go around them.

Your wall will not leak now because the water has an easier path. Water filled dirt pushing against the house could be tons of pressure and if the water gets stuck there it will find away thru concrete.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:39 PM  
slownsteady
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 138 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Neal's right. By installing the drain, you are relieving the pressure and giving the water a way to go. It's really all about relieving the pressure. The pipe does not have to be perfectly flush to the house. The gravel will fill those voids and allow the water to get to the pipe. Be generous with the gravel - make a large enough drain area so the water has a path to the pipe.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:40 AM  
Jungle

I've put 2 pails of blue skin on. I mostly paint to the grade.

Do you think i should get another $140 pail?

Consider i will glue foam eps sheets on there and cover with 10mm poly, probably not necessary and i am tired of painting chemicals right now. I'm thinking it is enough.

File Type: jpg ABC_1481.jpg (50.4 KB, 16 views)

Old 07-06-2014, 10:06 AM  
slownsteady
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 138 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Hope you nailed that back door shut for now

Old 07-06-2014, 12:52 PM  
Jungle

It's hard to close that door and walk the plank at the same time. Yesterday i forgot and about 10 flies got in.
Turns out the old foam board Stan used in the attic was code board for the foundations, there was a bunch in the basement i didn't have a use for, better not to be in the house. So i've just clued the old pieces on, looks like R10 after all.

Last edited by Jungle; 07-26-2014 at 09:09 AM.

Quick Reply