DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum

DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum (
-   Framing and Foundation (
-   -   What is this pipe for? (

KCV 09-10-2007 12:24 PM

What is this pipe for?
I have a ranch-style house that sits on a hill with a walkout basement. On 3 of the 4 sides (front, back, one side) there is a piece of reddish corregated plastic tubing that sticks straight up out of the ground where it meets the foundation. The tube is probably 4" in diameter and comes up several inches out of the ground. I'm trying to determine: what is the purpose of these tubes? The reason I'd like to know is that two of them happen to be in areas where water pools in heavy storms. If they are connected to the stormwater drains, I would cut them off to ground level and let these pools drain. But if they lead somewhere that might cause damage, I obviously would not want to do this.

The drains originally had duct tape over the opening, which is another reason I've not tampered with them. The house was build in 1980. Any idea what these tubes might be for?

travelover 09-10-2007 05:49 PM

Is it possible that your downspouts used to connect to these? That was commonly done in the past where the sewers were combined storm and sanitary. Most municipalities make you remove downspouts from sewer now.

Daryl in Nanoose 09-11-2007 08:35 AM

If you needed a Building permit back in 1980 the citi should know what that pipe is .

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:42 AM.