DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > What is up with this at the base of my foundation

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-13-2010, 01:17 PM  
lk122071

Default What is up with this at the base of my foundation

Please check out this link...

House - a set on Flickr

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2010, 06:05 PM  
itsreallyconc

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

with what ? moisture salts on the brick, the shrinkage crack where parging meets brick, fallen brick, no expansion jnt 'tween the sidewalk/landing & house foundation, or no wicks in the weeps ? ' what ' are you asking ?

Old 10-14-2010, 07:40 PM  
lk122071

That is greek to me...in layman's terms?

Old 10-14-2010, 09:00 PM  
DrHicks
Big Hog

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lk122071 View Post
Please check out this link...

House - a set on Flickr
It's poor workmanship, for sure - and on many levels.

But is there a specific question you're asking?

Old 10-15-2010, 12:22 AM  
itsreallyconc

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

did look at your pics & then asked ' what ' is your concern & i didn't yet mention ' where's the brick shelf ? ' ,,, you ignored my question,,, yes, its obvious we don't speak the same language but those are laymen's terms,,, do you have a dictionary ? perhaps they're old-fashioned for younger generations used to wickipedia - however, there's hope yet unless you can't learn,,, i'm out of this thread

Old 10-15-2010, 04:25 AM  
lk122071

Itsreallyconc - I do not appreciate your condescending attitude. So please stay out of this thread.There is no such sight as wickipedia. There is however one called Wikipedia.

Last edited by lk122071; 10-15-2010 at 04:28 AM.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:30 AM  
lk122071

DrHicks - I do realize it is poor worksmanship. I have seen some other houses in the neighborhood that have similar issues.

I am hoping to have this fixed..I do not have any idea how much it would cost or who to even call for this.

The house is about 10 years old and only started to show these signs about a year ago.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:40 AM  
DrHicks
Big Hog

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
DrHicks - I do realize it is poor worksmanship. I have seen some other houses in the neighborhood that have similar issues.

I am hoping to have this fixed..I do not have any idea how much it would cost or who to even call for this.

The house is about 10 years old and only started to show these signs about a year ago.
Ahhh, okay. Thanks for the clarification. I just wasn't sure what you were asking.

I cannot give you an honest or accurate estimate regarding the cost for fixing the problems. There are just too many variables that can't be seen in the pictures.

Most of the pictures show very minor things, such as a lack of fill dirt and some mortar missing. If that's all that's wrong, it's no big deal. In fact, you could easily fix it yourself.

But what worries me is what appears to be concrete that didn't cure properly - possibly because it was poured when the temperature was too cold. 10-year old concrete should not be cracking and flaking like that. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this problem could run VERY deep.

My best advice would be to seek out a professional - somebody who really knows concrete - and get his opinion, and an estimate.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:14 PM  
lk122071

Thanks DrHicks. I believe that the foundation was poured in the winter time (we bought the house new).

I wonder if the extreme cold and heat (over 100 degrees in the summer) and rain along with the occasional hail storm could be part of the cause of the cracking and flaking of the concrete.

I will look into seeking advice from a professional.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:16 AM  
DrHicks
Big Hog

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Thanks DrHicks. I believe that the foundation was poured in the winter time (we bought the house new).

I wonder if the extreme cold and heat (over 100 degrees in the summer) and rain along with the occasional hail storm could be part of the cause of the cracking and flaking of the concrete.

I will look into seeking advice from a professional.
If it was poured in the winter, that's almost certainly your problem. It also looks like they might have had too much water in the concrete.

Quick Reply