DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > 1920's tub drain

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 10:47 PM  
Dionysia

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yep, redwood, the spout originally came through the side of the tub. When we replaced the faucet, we removed it. Rightnow, there is an overflow cover on the hole, but we can't replace the drain assembly until we wrestle the drain off. The Mr. is no wimp, and he couldn't get the doggone thing to budge. We stopped before we created a massive problem with our only bathroom. I was just REALLY hoping someone had some secret trick for dealing with these antique drains.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2012, 11:05 PM  
Dionysia

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

OK, guys. I tried taking a photo of the drain from above. It is very ordinary-looking. Because of the age, it is a rubber-plug-to-keep-the-water-in style of drain. You can also see the cover where the spout originally came out. We have a nice modern tub and shower faucet on the wall above, because the spout inside the tub was too annoying for me to put up with anymore. There is no overflow tube, only the metal cover you see on the hole. When the kids splash too much water in the bath, we get occasional drips through the opening underneath the cover, but it has not ever really been a problem. IF we can get the drain off, we will install an overflow tube with the new drain.

As you can see, kids' mess aside, the tub is still in excellent shape and I really don't want to damage it. It is lavendar 2-sided apron tub with a matching pedestal sink, and original to the house. Replacing it would take a lot of the charm from the room, and be a gigantic headache.

tub-drain-topside.jpg  

Last edited by Dionysia; 01-13-2012 at 11:07 PM.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:18 AM  
joecaption

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Look directly under the tub, see where it looks like someone tryed to use teflon tape to stop the leak around a tube nut? (never should have had to use tape or dope there, there's a plastic washer that's supposted to be used to seal it) That's one place it disconnects, it gets turned counter clock wise looking up.
Follow the tube down from there to the next nut, that one can also be removed.
The next one is that big one on the trap.
Once in a while one of the silver colored nuts will not come off but there's almost no chance all of them will not come off, I'm thinking he's turning them in the wrong direction.
Easy to do when there up side down.
Still will not come out, I use a Dremal tool with a cut off blade to cut through the nut, being carefull to only cut the nut, Once cut through one side I tap it with a chisle to open it up away from the threads.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:00 AM  
Redwood
Certified Lunatic

Sounds like you have already made a big job out of it...

How do you feel about remodeling the bathroom and a new tub?

There should have been a clue when you saw that the drain was integral to the old valve and the spout was securing the standing waste tube in place...

Wrestling 90 year old plumbing around is never a good idea....

At least the waste line below won't have to be reconfigured to badly to connect...

Old 01-15-2012, 06:26 PM  
Dionysia

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
Sounds like you have already made a big job out of it...

How do you feel about remodeling the bathroom and a new tub?
I really don't want to remove the tub. It would involve a sledgehammer and being without a bathroom for a while.

Quote:
There should have been a clue when you saw that the drain was integral to the old valve and the spout was securing the standing waste tube in place...
My husband took out the spigot about ten years ago when we put in the new faucet with shower (there was no shower before). The drain was unaffected.

Quote:
Wrestling 90 year old plumbing around is never a good idea....

At least the waste line below won't have to be reconfigured to badly to connect...
We are not worried about the waste line below. It needs to be redone because all the lines are run through the joist, which someone here has already noted is in bad shape. There isn't much of the house that the Mr. hasn't already touched. The bathroom tub is really the only thing that hasn't had much done to it - just the new faucet. It is a lot of trouble for an old house, but it has been in the family a long time

Old 01-15-2012, 06:53 PM  
isola96

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysia

I really don't want to remove the tub. It would involve a sledgehammer and being without a bathroom for a while.

My husband took out the spigot about ten years ago when we put in the new faucet with shower (there was no shower before). The drain was unaffected.

We are not worried about the waste line below. It needs to be redone because all the lines are run through the joist, which someone here has already noted is in bad shape. There isn't much of the house that the Mr. hasn't already touched. The bathroom tub is really the only thing that hasn't had much done to it - just the new faucet. It is a lot of trouble for an old house, but it has been in the family a long time
Try the steps joe has stated before with the links I'm shore you will be able to get it off.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:09 PM  
Dionysia

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
To get the strainer out your going to need one of these if the strainer
parts are broken off in the drain inside the tub.
Ridgid 342 Internal Pipe Wrench, 1-2 In Cap, 4 1/2 L
I showed the Mr. this link. He says that is exactly the tool he needs to get this drain off. It's expensive, but I guess cheaper than a total bathroom demolition to destroy my vintage tub! the strainer broke when he tried one of those other wrenches on it before.

Thanks for the help folks. I'll try to post pics when we're done.

Quick Reply