DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Adapter for portable gas stove?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2010, 09:14 PM  
Redwood
Certified Lunatic

I found these pictures...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2010, 09:17 PM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
I'd like to understand better why this stove is inherently more dangerous if used indoors than a regular gas stove
Any takers on this one?

Ilyaz:
I can't think of any reason why it would be inherantly any more dangerous than a gas stove. A gas stove MIGHT have an exhaust hood, but if it doesn't then any fuel burning cleanly in your house like methane or propane or even a butane candle could start to produce carbon monoxide if there's insufficient O2 in the air. So, a gas stove burning methane would be just as dangerous to use in a house as a propane stove, so far as I can see. I expect the gas stove might have more reliable controls, tho.

I believe that much of the reason why Coleman warns you against using your stove in an RV or any enclosed space is because of the limited air volume in a camper. Outdoors, there's little concern that the O2 in the atmosphere is going to become depleted, but that possibility exists in a camper. However, if there's even a slight breeze and if a person keeps the camper windows open so that the breeze can blow through the camper, that ventilation would drastically reduce the liklihood of CO being produced by the propane stove.

Also, of course, Coleman's lawyers are trying to keep the company out of court. They simply want to warn people against doing anything that even smells like it could have an unhappy ending cuz that might result in the company ending up in court.

Any major appliance manufacturer that produces natural gas stoves can't tell you that you shouldn't use them inside, but they undoubtedly warn you 16 times in the owner's manual about providing adequate ventilation to avoid the production of carbon monoxide.

That multi gas detector looks fine to me. I notice that it detects both CO and propane. You could save a few bucks and just buy a CO detector if you disconnected the propane line each time after using the stove. You're not going to need that propane feature once the kitchen renovations are finished.

Anybody else? Why isn't using gas stove just as dangerous as using a propane stove indoors? It's an excellent question cuz I haven't got an answer.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:11 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 321 Times on 270 Posts
Likes Given: 111

My biggest concerns would be that a stove has hard line to the unit. A cracked propane house can occur in a instant. Secondly does the burner operate as efficiently as a stove burner? Look at redwoods photos, is it worth risking it?

Old 02-06-2010, 07:47 AM  
Speedbump
Water well etc.

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Two other things I can think of.

1. Stoves made to be used inside have automatic turn off devices if the stove gets slightly out of level.
2. Stoves for indoor use aren't nearly as apt to start a fire by being placed too close to something that might ignite.
3. Then there is the fume thing, but I said only two, so I won't mention that.

Then there was the guy who jumped out of a perfectly good airplane and while plummeting towards earth, realized he couldn't get his parachute to open. On the way down, he sees this guy coming up at him. As they got close enough to converse, he asked "Hey buddy, do you know how to open a parachute" to which the guy on his way up added, "No... do you know how to light a gas stove?"

Old 02-06-2010, 10:06 AM  
Redwood
Certified Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbump View Post
Two other things I can think of.

1. Stoves made to be used inside have automatic turn off devices if the stove gets slightly out of level.
2. Stoves for indoor use aren't nearly as apt to start a fire by being placed too close to something that might ignite.
3. Then there is the fume thing, but I said only two, so I won't mention that.

Then there was the guy who jumped out of a perfectly good airplane and while plummeting towards earth, realized he couldn't get his parachute to open. On the way down, he sees this guy coming up at him. As they got close enough to converse, he asked "Hey buddy, do you know how to open a parachute" to which the guy on his way up added, "No... do you know how to light a gas stove?"
Well I'd add the lack of an ignition feature for another one on many of the stoves...

The other would be...
Quote:
The Liquified Petroleum Gas Regulations state the following:
- store propane cylinders outdoors in a secure location
- store propane cylinders away from sources of ignition
- keep propane cylinders three feet (one metre) from any building
opening
- keep propane cylinders upright when being stored, transported,
or used

Barbecues may be stored indoors only after the propane cylinder
has been removed and safely placed outdoors.
Nestor, Do you want your tenants using one of these rigs in your apartment building when one of those old stoves you have installed craps out?

Really! I'm sorry to say there isn't much room for argument here...
When it comes to gas it is a very good fuel to use...
But!
When you skirt the issues of safety the consequences are too severe...
An entire family may not wake up in the morning...
or,
A wonderful home can be reduced to a building lot with a smoldering pile of toothpicks on it in an instant!

Nestor, why don't you stick to googling answers that have less harmful potential!

Last edited by Redwood; 02-06-2010 at 10:15 AM.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:06 AM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Could we at least agree that Ilyaz would eliminate the possibility of his house blowing up if he kept the propane tank outside when it wasn't in use?

Old 02-06-2010, 11:37 AM  
Redwood
Certified Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor_Kelebay View Post
Could we at least agree that Ilyaz would eliminate the possibility of his house blowing up if he kept the propane tank outside when it wasn't in use?
Outdoor gas appliances are outdoor gas appliances
Period end of discussion!
No concessions offered or, accepted!

Old 02-06-2010, 02:15 PM  
Speedbump
Water well etc.

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Egaddds. Are you feeling ganged up on Nestor? If you are, you should be. It's a no brainer that what the poster was trying to do was a very bad idea. Let's leave it at that. Before someone gets killed.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:35 PM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ilyaz:
Well, it looks like the most politically correct solution is that instead of spending $32.95 on that adapter hose and another $35 on that propane/CO detector, you spend $34.99 to get one of these from w w w.hotplates.com

Hot Plates-Electric Hot Plates, Single, Double Burner Hot Plate Styles:

ask for the "Aroma double electric range, AHP-312" SKU #ARO1044

You can get a Proctor Silex single burner element for $20.

An electric hot plate is much less likely to blow your house up, and you don't have to keep taking the propane tank outside when you're finished using it.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 02-06-2010 at 06:18 PM.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:55 PM  
ilyaz

Likes Given: 7

Everybody, thanks for the advice.

Nestor, sorry I got yourself yelled at by everyone!

Quick Reply