DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Adding a utility Sink

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2011, 08:41 PM  
ME87

Default Adding a utility Sink

I've attached a few pictures explaining what I'd like to do. If someone else has a better method or better idea PLEASE speak up. I'm not really sure where to start on this one.

Our laundry room is entered from the garage as shown by the door here

There is a laundry drain and water (hot and cold) hookup right behind the washer shown in the above picture and this one

I would like to add a utility sink in the garage right next to the door as shown here

How do I make this happen? I'm not afraid of the drywall work, but how do I properly tap into this water and drain?

Just your average 24 year old

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 10:06 PM  
BridgeMan

Liked 75 Times on 67 Posts

It will be a challenge, especially if both the garage wall and the utility room wall are framed with just 2 x 4s. The sink will require a vent line as well as a drain, so getting everything (vent, drain, and supply lines) to fit inside of a 3-1/2" space without seriously weakening the wall studs will be almost impossible. And there's also electrical runs in both walls, so you'll need to work around that as well. Meaning you will need to "bump-out" both wall thicknesses, possibly by adding supplemental 2 x 2 framing (glued and screwed) to the studs after you've pulled the sheetrock.

If it were mine, I'd have a few plumbers come in to give a free quote for the work, enabling you to pick their brains regarding what would work best. You might even consider using one of them to plumb everything, with you buttoning things up after, still saving a bunch of money. Your being in AZ means the house is on a concrete slab (right?), which will make the project that much more difficult. Not impossible, just not as easy as being on a crawl space or basement. Take a few pix and post them here, after you've removed the drywall. And practice up your sweat-soldering skills in the meantime if you plan to do all of the plumbing yourself.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:22 PM  
ME87

The house is on a concrete slab and it is post tension concrete, so this means there are steel cables running through it as well. From what I understand in order to drill or cut the slab, it would need to be hit with an x-ray. I may call a plumber as recommended for a few ideas and yes the wall is framed with 2X4's so you're correct. I've looked at a few of the neighbors houses who had utility sinks installed as an option when the house was built. Most of them had dedicated lines and drains run during construction, something the previous owner of our home neglected. My house did come with a finished garage, which is nice, but also isn't so nice since it needs some plumbing and they only installed 1 (ONE!!!!) electrical outlet in the entire garage.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:38 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 860 Times on 768 Posts
Likes Given: 1486

As the washer is sitting a few inches from the wall, why not just run the drain along that wall and into the pipe behind the washer lower than the washer trap. I believe you can run sum distance with out a vent. If you put the sink right behind that wall in the garage you will only be running about 4 ft.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:03 AM  
joecaption

Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'd remove the baseboard and that drywall 48 1/2" up from the floor. I think what you will see is you can just run the drain over to the drain you have now and install a sanitary Y in that line low enough to get it to drain. If there's is a vent right in that area for just the washing machine then your good for venting.
As far as for the supplys I'd use a Shark Grip to tee into the lines behind the washer, run Pex over to two Pex 1/2" stub outs. A stub out looks like a curved piece of copper tubing with a Pex barb on the bottom and a sq. plate attached to the copper tubing so it can be mounted to the studs.
It's all sold in Lowes or Home Depot.
I'd install nailing plates where the drain is run.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:44 AM  
ME87

I think I will start by removing the drywall and seeing what I have to work with. Maybe I'll get lucky along the way somehow.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:33 AM  
Redwood
Certified Lunatic

I'm not sure of your code requirements but there are some codes that require the washing machine drain to be a dedicated line until it reaches a 3" minimum line in some areas of this country.

Really the only thing to do is open the wall and see what you have.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:16 PM  
ME87

I can see this conversion now with the wife. Good thing she's supportive of my endeavors and so far they turn out nice.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:41 PM  
ME87

Anyone care to enlighten me as to what this is behind the washer?

Old 11-10-2011, 12:17 AM  
Redwood
Certified Lunatic

Might be a cleanout cover... Check it out and let us know...

Quick Reply