DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Any advice on picking a kitchen faucet?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 09:15 AM  
Redwood
Certified Lunatic

Actually Nestor the quality of the ceramic cartridges is usually not the issue except in the case if the disposable faucets...

Usually the issues with ceramic cartridges are water quality...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2010, 11:30 AM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

All the Moen cartridges I worked on would not come out, even with the tool for that purpose, probably because they are stuck in place by calcium deposits.
I had to drill the cartridges into non-existence with multiple holes while hoping I didn't damage the faucet cylinder that mates with the cartridge.

I hate them.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:55 AM  
Speedbump
Water well etc.

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
All the Moen cartridges I worked on would not come out, even with the tool for that purpose, probably because they are stuck in place by calcium deposits.
I had to drill the cartridges into non-existence with multiple holes while hoping I didn't damage the faucet cylinder that mates with the cartridge.

I hate them.
Hey... at least you were working on destroying one that someone got several years use out of. Unlike me, destroying a perfectly good new one.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:29 PM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuzzat? View Post

I hate them.
That kinda scares me Wuzzat because in my building the T&S faucets are located between a concrete block wall and a ceramic tiled wall. So, if I can't get the cartridge out, I'd have to break up the ceramic tiling and replace the faucet. Winnipeg has soft water. I've heard that the Moen 1225 cartridge can be hard to get out, but I wasn't sure if that was a common problem, or just a problem in rural areas with hard water.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:08 PM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor_Kelebay View Post
or just a problem in rural areas with hard water.
"
Is my water soft or hard?
Most of our customers receive their water from the Potomac Water Filtration Plant, and that water tends to be moderately hard. If you live in Laurel, Greenbelt or Beltsville, you are probably drinking water from the Patuxent Water Filtration Plant. That water tends to be more soft. Customers living in the hatched area on the map, roughly Silver Spring to Landover, are receiving a blend of the water from both plants.
"

Hard Water - To Soften Or Not To Soften

Old 02-11-2010, 10:59 PM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I wouldn't be on your map even if I could find it.

I'm gonna talk to some of the plumbing companies in my area. If they haven't had too much trouble getting those cartridges out here in Winnipeg, then I'm not likey to have trouble with it either.

The good thing is that I really fastened those faucet bodies in securely, so I can put a lot of force on the cartridge to remove it if necessary. I won't have to worry about twisting the whole faucet body and bending the supply pipes inside the wall or nuthin.

I think if removing the cartridges was a problem in my area, then I woulda heard about it from people in my area before now.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 02-11-2010 at 11:05 PM.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:13 AM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Wuzzat:

Phoned two well established plumbing companies in Winnipeg (Balcaen & Sons and Parson's) and both said they never had any trouble removing Moen single lever cartridges.

Also phoned Home Depot Kitchen & Bath day manager to see if he's had people coming to the store asking how to get those cartridges out because they're having trouble doing it. He says he hasn't had anyone asking about that during the 4 years he's worked there.

I'm wondering if the problem is water hardness in your area. If so, would this work:
1. Shut off water to the faucet
2. Remove knob, sleeve and clip holding cartridge in
3. Rotate cartridge with white plastic "wrench" to break it loose, but leave it in the rotated position so that water could flow in around the cartridge inside the barrel.
4. Open the cold water shut off valve just a little to allow the water pressure in the barrel to build up around and behind the cartridge. (With the water shut off valve open just a little, water would trickle out the open barrel rather than come gushing out if the cartridge is removed.)

Here in Winnipeg, the water pressure is about 60 PSI. If the cross section of the barrel is 3/4 square inch, that would add another 45 pounds of force to whatever you're pulling with, which may be enough to pull the cartridge out.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 02-12-2010 at 09:16 AM.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:18 AM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor_Kelebay View Post
Wuzzat:

Phoned two well established plumbing companies in Winnipeg (Balcaen & Sons and Parson's) and both said they never had any trouble removing Moen single lever cartridges.

Also phoned Home Depot Kitchen & Bath day manager to see if he's had people coming to the store asking how to get those cartridges out because they're having trouble doing it. He says he hasn't had anyone asking about that during the 4 years he's worked there.

I'm wondering if the problem is water hardness in your area. If so, would this work:
1. Shut off water to the faucet
2. Remove knob, sleeve and clip holding cartridge in
3. Rotate cartridge with white plastic "wrench" to break it loose, but leave it in the rotated position so that water could flow in around the cartridge inside the barrel.
4. Open the cold water shut off valve just a little to allow the water pressure in the barrel to build up around and behind the cartridge. (With the water shut off valve open just a little, water would trickle out the open barrel rather than come gushing out if the cartridge is removed.)

Here in Winnipeg, the water pressure is about 60 PSI. If the cross section of the barrel is 3/4 square inch, that would add another 45 pounds of force to whatever you're pulling with, which may be enough to pull the cartridge out.
It might work, and it'd be faster than a vinegar soak.

Quick Reply