DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > any kitchen faucet brands to avoid?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2008, 07:05 PM  
daniel2229

Default any kitchen faucet brands to avoid?

We are looking for single hole faucets at Lowes or Home Depot and are wondering if there are any brands to avoid. So far we have seen Price Pfister, Moen, Kohler, and Delta faucets that match our needs. All of these models have a spray nozzle that pulls out and a single handle for controlling water flow.

I have already discovered that the numbers on the boxes must be done especially for Lowes as when we Google the numbers, they can't be found.

Is there one brand we should just stay away from? We are going with the stainless finish this time. The last one we had was a Price Pfister in an oil rub finish. It worked well but the lime crust showed up rather quickly with our hard water and the dark finish.

The faucet before that was a Moen with a white porcelean? finish (probably just cheap white enamel) that chipped off in several places. We had to get replacement parts from the customer service, and it was a bear to replace. Of course, they did not want to replace the faucet, just the parts. I had to talk to the guy on the phone while replacing the the part. What a pain!

We have Moens in our bathrooms and have never had trouble with them.

Thanks for your help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2008, 02:17 AM  
Big Al

Hi: I"m not a plumber. I"ve lived in my home 19 years. Borrow money if you have to. Buy the most expensive one. Then you"ll be done.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:25 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 110 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 234

Default Stay away..

No price...I would go kohler, or moen.

I would also go to a plumbing supply store.

Just My
Made in the

Old 06-11-2008, 08:52 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Hey Daniel:
I agree with InspectorD 100% on this one. We destroy the finish on our faucets with harsh cleaners and bleach. They are best cleaned with soap and water and then dried, which will extend their life and improve their looks.
Glenn

Old 06-13-2008, 12:49 PM  
majakdragon

You are correct that those brands were made exclusively for Lowes or Home Depot. The differences can range as far as being brass to being plastic. Buying from a Plumbing Supply store will cost more but worth it in the long run. A company I used to work for doing new homes always installed crane faucets. A customer set a Sterling faucet on the counter with a note to install it instead. I did, and could not even get water to flow through it. he complained later and took the Sterling back and wanted us to install the Crane. Was real mad when he got charged the labor fee.

if you have never made a mistake, you probably haven't done much.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:56 AM  
handyguys

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to handyguys

Price Pfister, Moen, Kohler, and Delta all have a good reputation. Probably Delta would be the cheapest of the bunch. If you had your heart set on a Delta I wouldn't hesitate to put it in. Moving down the quality ladder would then come American Standard then the store brands like Glacier Bay. I would at least avoid Glacier Bay and the like unless maybe I was flipping a house.

My favorites are Moen, Price Pfister and Kohler. I have Kohler everything in my current house.

You also have those Italian sounding company names with euro price tags as well.

The Handyguys Podcast [url]http://www.handyguyspodcast.com[/url]

Old 06-16-2008, 05:22 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 102 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 61

I believe Delta is guaranteed for life. Must be good if there willing to stand behind it for that long.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:45 PM  
jack3140

after trying various brands i have settled on moen have had nothing but for a long time and anytime something has gone wrong i go to to rona and they hand me replacement parts free and no questions asked strongly recommend god luck

Old 06-22-2008, 01:08 AM  
TaskBoy

Price Phister's plating sucks as does their body mat'l, IMHO. They can't take hard water well--ours started getting eaten away in a few months and actually froze so it wouldn't swivel.

Moen rocks. Moen installs faster and even gives you a long fiber-filled socket to tighten the keeper nut. With PP, I had to get under there with one of those dumb knuckle buster faucet wrenches. 3 local plumbers said Moen when asked. We have the Moen Caprillo pull-out in SS.

Last edited by TaskBoy; 06-22-2008 at 01:11 AM.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:38 PM  
NYDonna

Default If only I had read this before I bought the dang faucet

The Price Pfister I bought is not the top of the line by any stretch of the imagination, but not the bottom of the barrel either. Basically all I wanted was water IN my sink not UNDER it.
The cup where the diverter fits the shank is defective and when I called Price Pfister they said that they didn't have a replacement part for that 'yet'. Uh, I don't want a replacement part for a brand new faucet Long story short: returned the PF and got a Moen. Again not the top of the line but this time's the water's in the sink. Thanks Moen.

Quick Reply