DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Anybody have specs for a sump pump?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-15-2014, 12:30 PM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Default Anybody have specs for a sump pump?

It's an Expert submersible sump pump, models 116-122. They were at North Paulina St. in Chicago. No name plate that I could see on this thing. It's from before 1992.

A humming noise, then silence, in our basement was the pump trying to start. Since it didn't and since we had very heavy rain a while ago I'm now wondering if we ever needed a pump in this 1964 house, built on clay.

With my sump basin size, a measuring stick indicates a one gallon change and with flooding coming tonight I will be able to figure the GPM into the sump so I can size the pump. A reading every hour or so should be enough. My 5 gal. bucket rain gauge will tell how many inches we got.

I figure I can plug the basin with a square gasketed plate and a weight on the plate, if need be.

If the groundwater rises above the level of the top surface of the basement floor slab with the opening plugged, at what levels relative to the basement floor slab may I expect trouble?

Should the pump I haven't gotten yet be set to turn on at the lower surface of the slab or the upper surface?

Facts, opinions and hearsay welcome. . .

Last edited by Wuzzat?; 05-15-2014 at 12:37 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2014, 03:43 PM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

So far my rain gauge shows a 0.8" increase and the sump level hasn't moved so it may be a day or so before this all seeps down.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:44 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 109 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 64

You can't hold back water with a gasket and weight.
So expect trouble right at floor level.
Get your self a pump with an adjustable float and set it where you need it based on your crock depth and pump style.
I prefer to set the have them empty the crock as much as possible without sucking air. I have them come on right about at the bottom of the drain pipe so water doesn't back up through the pipes.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:05 PM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kok328 View Post
You can't hold back water with a gasket and weight.
So expect trouble right at floor level.
Get your self a pump with an adjustable float and set it where you need it based on your crock depth and pump style.
I prefer to set the have them empty the crock as much as possible without sucking air. I have them come on right about at the bottom of the drain pipe so water doesn't back up through the pipes.
Thanks for your reply.

I figure a >25 lb weight should keep a clamp on what wants to be 6" of water in my basement. 1" of water, >4 lbs. Worst case, I run a 2x4 from the lid up to the joists.

0.8" in my basin is 0.4 gallons so if the level increases by this much in an hour I need a tiny pump, 0.4 gallons/hr into a 7' head, plus friction loss.
http://abe-research.illinois.edu/pubs/factsheets/SumpPumps.pdf

I should have kept track of the sump levels when the pump was working or at least measured the amp draw.
The pump motor was about 5" dia by 3" high so I guess I can guesstimate how much hp it put out. For sure it rapid-cycled.

It seems to me that if the ground is saturated from days of rain, so that the water level is 3" below our floor surface, and the weather people are calling for >3" of rain, I need to get a pump within hours of that forecast.

Last edited by Wuzzat?; 05-15-2014 at 04:10 PM.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:21 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 844 Times on 754 Posts
Likes Given: 1463

If the water get to the level of the top of the slab, look for water where ever the slab meets walls , exterior and bairing interior walls, there is no stopping it.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:34 PM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
If the water get to the level of the top of the slab, look for water where ever the slab meets walls , exterior and bairing interior walls, there is no stopping it.
Then plugging the hole is futile. I guess I assumed that the joint between the walls and the floor was watertight.

To get the max GPM for the pump I may try putting water into the basin at a rate such that the water level stays just below the floor surface. Then I measure the flow rate into the sump using a watch and a 5 gal. bucket.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:28 PM  
Blue Jay

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Trying to cap off the top of the crock might be good for America's Funniest Home Video's but that is about all. With what you stated about the size of the current one and the forcast I would just go get a 1/3HP it will move a lot of water unless you have a very tall head to discharge to.

Since my perimeter drain goes into my crock I have a 1/3HP pump and it takes care of it very well I also have a 12V backup pump because I am on AEP (another empty promise) and I have an extra pump ready to set in place if the first one fails.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:31 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

You should have venturi pump for when the power is out or your pump breaks down. When I was a kid we had two pumps set at two levels so when the second one started it turned on a light up stairs and we new the first one was dead and from time to time we still used the one with the garden hose.
http://www.aquamerik.com/catalogue/produits.cgi?category=pompes_asuccion&lg=eng

Old 05-15-2014, 10:40 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Anybody have specs for a sump pump?

Unless the writing is realy small, reg, glasses should work

Last edited by nealtw; 05-15-2014 at 10:42 PM.
slownsteady Likes This 
Old 05-16-2014, 04:50 AM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 109 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 64

You can't hold back water, period, I don't care if you put a 2500 lb. weight on it, you can't hold back water. Hydraulics is an amazing thing, so much so that they use it in everyday applications where mechanical means would not be strong enough.
Don't over think this, it's not rocket science. Buy a 1/3hp pump, drop it in the crock and move on to the next project.

Quick Reply