DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Anyone have experience using PEX?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-14-2010, 09:50 PM  
StevenC

Default Anyone have experience using PEX?

I'm going to re-plumb my house with either pvc or pex. I'd like some opinions on PEX and the pros and cons of it...if there are any?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2010, 07:44 AM  
TheClumsyCarpenter

I had to do some minor work with PEX, and thought it was pretty easy to use. It's nice that it is much more flexible than standard hard piping.

I used the "shark" fittings that actually don't require the standard PEX crimping tool, so I don't have any experience with that. I have a buddy that did some work with PEX and has mentioned the newer type of tool that has a small LED that will light up when the correct pressure had been applied. Might be worth looking into.

Grady

Descriptions of a young DIYer that wants to learn how to do everything himself. This is the kind of thing you don't see on HGTV.

[URL="http://theclumsycarpenter.wordpress.com/"]http://theclumsycarpenter.wordpress.com/[/URL]

Old 03-15-2010, 08:30 AM  
Redwood
Certified Lunatic

Well take PVC off your list!
It cannot be used for hot water and under most codes is not allowed to be used inside the home for water supply.

CPVC however can.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:46 AM  
handyguys

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to handyguys

hehe, redwood, he probably meant cpvc but you never know. If I had to choose between cpvc or pex I would go with pex. between pex and copper? Hmm, depends. There is something satisfying about doing a nice neat job in copper.

The Handyguys Podcast [url]http://www.handyguyspodcast.com[/url]

Old 03-15-2010, 11:31 AM  
Redwood
Certified Lunatic

Yep gotta cover those bases to be sure...

In my own I'd go with copper but that said I have put PEX in my own mothers home due to aggressive water conditions.

Customers that want low prices get PEX as well as those that have water problems.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:04 PM  
StevenC

Thanks for the input guys. Your right redwood I meant cpvc. But I don't really know the difference...due to my lack of experience in plumbing.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:25 PM  
Bubba Ray

I have done lots of copper but have used pex for a small repair and was impressed. Used the sharkbite fitting between the polybutalene and the pex with good results.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:54 AM  
dillon1340

i used pex when i replumbed my 60 year old house and love it. super easy to work with and have not had a problem yet. i did it with manifolds for hot and cold, and from for the water coming from water heater i used cpvc then red pex off that to all my fixtures. my first post. love this forum, and glad i found it because i have lots of questions i'm searching for answers for.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:04 AM  
frozenstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClumsyCarpenter View Post
I had to do some minor work with PEX, and thought it was pretty easy to use. It's nice that it is much more flexible than standard hard piping.

I used the "shark" fittings that actually don't require the standard PEX crimping tool, so I don't have any experience with that. I have a buddy that did some work with PEX and has mentioned the newer type of tool that has a small LED that will light up when the correct pressure had been applied. Might be worth looking into.
And by that, PEX seems like a good choice.

[I]“You can always get someone to love you, even if you have to [B]do it yourself[/B]”[/I]
[I][SIZE="1"][/URL][/SIZE][/I]

Old 05-12-2010, 09:06 AM  
Redwood
Certified Lunatic

I like the PEX with SSC rings. One tool for crimping all sizes is a big plus in my book.

SSC Crimp Tool

1/2" SSC Rings

3/4" SSC Rings

1" SSC Rings

Quick Reply