DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Backup water sump pump

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-25-2011, 06:57 PM  
larmoss

Default Backup water sump pump

Raining like crazy here, got home and my back up sump has been running - sounds like a washing machine. Sounds like my regular sump has failed. Shouldn't the backup operate on a float so it doesn't run all the time. I turned the water off and the backup pump stopped, but small amounts of water was still going into the pit, so I hesitate to keep the water off. Any suggestions before the main sump is replaced, or do I just leave the water going and just have a high water bill?
Larry

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2011, 11:25 PM  
Redwood
Certified Lunatic

That would depend on if the water level in the pit has been pumped down far enough that the back up pump should have shut off or, if it is still needed.

I do not care much for water powered back up pumps...

I would get your main pump replaced, and consider replacing the backup with a Zoeller Aquanot II pump...

Old 05-28-2011, 07:56 PM  
WhiteTiger

Backup pumps that use water are not the best of ideas. They waste good water to remove the sump water. The Auqunot , and the Basement Watchdog are better alternatives.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:48 PM  
ConcreteTreat
Concrete/Basement Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by larmoss View Post
Raining like crazy here, got home and my back up sump has been running - sounds like a washing machine. Sounds like my regular sump has failed. Shouldn't the backup operate on a float so it doesn't run all the time. I turned the water off and the backup pump stopped, but small amounts of water was still going into the pit, so I hesitate to keep the water off. Any suggestions before the main sump is replaced, or do I just leave the water going and just have a high water bill?
Larry
Water-powered sump pumps are expensive and wasteful, but since you already have one, you might as well choose it over a flooded basement. Keep it running, but get out there soon and replace that sump pump. I recommend a cast-iron Zoeller pump myself, but any system with a cast-iron core will be a better choice.

In the meantime, check that float switch on that water-powered sump pump. If it's hung up on something, or stuck in the "on" position, that may explain why it's running nonstop.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:39 PM  
peterjhon

I think you need to replace a submersible sump pump. Check the GPM of the old pump and get another sump pump with bit strong capacity then your previous pump.A good sump pump will give you batter performance and decrease your monthly bill.

[URL="http://www.fyurl.com/rr.php?c=2&site=www.houserepairtalk.com&url=http://www.backup-power.ca/home.html"]emergency power generator[/URL]

Old 04-19-2012, 12:59 AM  
peterjhon

I think you need to replace a submersible sump pump. Check the GPM of the old pump and get another sump pump with bit strong capacity then your previous pump.A good sump pump will give you batter performance and decrease your monthly bill.

[URL="http://www.fyurl.com/rr.php?c=2&site=www.houserepairtalk.com&url=http://www.backup-power.ca/home.html"]emergency power generator[/URL]

Quick Reply