DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Basic Soldering of copper pipe

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-29-2009, 06:25 AM  
travelover

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
Oh boy! Now you've done it!
Really lead free is all you need to concern yourself with...
Thats what You will be using!
I solder stuff besides pipes all the time - low voltage wiring, electronics, small metal parts needing mechanical strength, etc. Most of the principles are the same and it seems like a logical extension of the discussion, but that is up to the "professor".

BTW, I think understanding the why of chemistry (etc) is useful as it helps one understand what went wrong when there is a failure.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2009, 09:30 AM  
Speedbump
Water well etc.

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Great job Nestor. I haven't done much soldering since PVC took over, but I sure did a bunch back in the day. I did use lead solder and can tell you, the lead free works very nicely.

I learned a few things today, especially the part about the Vaseline.

Mr. Majic may be right about the too much time thing, but I think he's probably just jealous like me.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:38 AM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Travelover:

Redwood was just kidding around in reference to Majakdragon barking at me.

Quote:
BTW, I think understanding the why of chemistry (etc) is useful as it helps one understand what went wrong when there is a failure.
Understanding what you're doing and why beats following instructions every day of the week.

Thanks, Speedbump.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 07-29-2009 at 09:44 AM.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:42 AM  
majakdragon

Speedbump, No jealousy here. My point was just what I posted. Why tell novices something that is either not true or will make their project harder or a failure. In about 10 days, Nestors posts will be lost in all the others (unless he keeps adding to it) and even then, not too many people have time to read all of whats there when they came here looking for quick fixes. On most sites, what has been written would be contained in a Sticky, not in the Forums. Most people come here for professional advice, not something that someone got "lucky" using.

if you have never made a mistake, you probably haven't done much.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:17 AM  
Blue Jay

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I have found this post informative, never thought about using anything but standard flux for plumbing but would only try it in a pinch.

"different solder types - leaded, lead free, rosin core, acid core, silver, etc"

Use lead free or silver on any thing that you would consume from, ie. potable water, cooking ware and such, silver solder needs a higher temp. to melt and is normally used on air conditioning lines.

Rosin core is used on electronics and can be either leaded or lead free.
Solid core is used on wiring and radiator repair, flux is needed in each case can be leaded or lead free.

Acid core should be ONLY used around the home on galvanized gutter if at all, I would find another method of sealing joints, silicone or roof cement comes to mind.
Too many times I have gone to a friends house to help with a plumbing repair because of leaks and found out they had used acid core a couple of years ago so we proceeded to cut out all the fittings he had put in with it, at least it had just been in basements and crawl space, nothing inside of walls.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:18 AM  
Speedbump
Water well etc.

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I might add that since I'm into Ham radio and do quite a bit of electronics soldering, I highly recommend not using acid core there either!

Old 07-29-2009, 12:48 PM  
travelover

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
I have found this post informative, never thought about using anything but standard flux for plumbing but would only try it in a pinch.

"different solder types - leaded, lead free, rosin core, acid core, silver, etc"

Use lead free or silver on any thing that you would consume from, ie. potable water, cooking ware and such, silver solder needs a higher temp. to melt and is normally used on air conditioning lines.

Rosin core is used on electronics and can be either leaded or lead free.
Solid core is used on wiring and radiator repair, flux is needed in each case can be leaded or lead free.

Acid core should be ONLY used around the home on galvanized gutter if at all, I would find another method of sealing joints, silicone or roof cement comes to mind.
Too many times I have gone to a friends house to help with a plumbing repair because of leaks and found out they had used acid core a couple of years ago so we proceeded to cut out all the fittings he had put in with it, at least it had just been in basements and crawl space, nothing inside of walls.
Thanks, Blue Jay - very informative. Can you silver solder with MAPP gas?

Old 07-29-2009, 01:06 PM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by majakdragon View Post
Why tell novices something that is either not true or will make their project harder or a failure.
Quote:
and even then, not too many people have time to read all of whats there when they came here looking for quick fixes.
Quote:
Most people come here for professional advice, not something that someone got "lucky" using.
The purpose of this post wasn't to teach YOU to solder, you presumably know how after 35 years.

The purpose of the post was to explain the process to the newbies in here so that they know what they're doing and why. Once they know what to do and why, then they'll have the confidence to try it on their own. They'll buy a torch, some fittings and some pipe, some solder and some flux and maybe a heat shield, and they'll learn to solder by doing it again and again and again. Then they'll understand how dumb it is to be using compression fittings when soldered joints are so much more to their liking.

So, Mr. Majak, let's just give it a rest, and let the newbies absorb it all.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 07-30-2009 at 12:10 AM.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:36 PM  
Blue Jay

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Thanks, Blue Jay - very informative. Can you silver solder with MAPP gas?
Yes it would be hot enough to do the job.
Happy soldering

Old 07-30-2009, 01:37 AM  
Redwood
Certified Lunatic

Nice job Nestor, Taught me a few things.

Quick Reply