DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Bath Tub Replacing

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2011, 11:49 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 458 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 144

Default Bath Tub Replacing

I own a condo that my daughter and son-in-law live in that was built in the 70's. The tub is starting to get scratched and pretty nasty looking from years of use. I was thinking of replacing it but how much trouble will I have getting a new tub in there without taking a wall down? With all the horror stories about some of the coating or covering companies is replacement my best option? It is a cast iron/porcelain unit.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2011, 01:42 PM  
DUNBAR
Master Plumber

Location: Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area, Kentucky

If you're wanting to put a new cast iron tub in, removal is difficult.

An old padded blanket, sledgehammer will break up the old one into pieces, send it to the scrap yard for $$. I wouldn't suggest removing it as one piece.... too much a risk of a back injury.

Getting the new one in is a duty, will require a few helping hands. Spend good money on the product so you get longevity of finish on the tub.

I have seen reliable coatings installed on tubs, ones that have went many years and looked better than the original coating.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:35 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 844 Times on 754 Posts
Likes Given: 1460

What kind of tub is it?

Old 03-07-2011, 05:39 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
What kind of tub is it?
Cast iron.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:40 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNBAR View Post
I have seen reliable coatings installed on tubs, ones that have went many years and looked better than the original coating.
Anything in particular I should look for?

Old 03-07-2011, 12:03 PM  
DUNBAR
Master Plumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldog/newtrick View Post
Anything in particular I should look for?

Definitely stay away from the 'answer in a can' product at home depot. That is around $40 and it's rental property grade product. You cannot expect much from that design.

The 'majority' of applications I've seen using this product have been for more established property owners, in which only 1 or 2 people are using the tub on a daily basis.

Every once in awhile I see it done on a house where multiple people live, meaning upwards of 4-5 people with kids.

There are numerous companies probably in your area that do this type of work. I would recommend anyone that has over 10 years in the business in one location, a clean BBB record that would lead one to believe that the reliability of the product is holding out.

One crucial mistake made in this application:

Those who put these new finishes on MUST remove the chrome trim for the overflow opening along with the tub drain chrome opening.

That is 2 areas where porcelain always comes off/rust shows up and can create a bad situation down the road when the trim is replaced and that area is slowly going beyond what the trim covers.

If the first statement that comes out of their mouth is "we are not plumbers" then tell them they cannot do their job correctly with leaving those two items intact. That's not how the tub was first glazed and they know it.

They should have a plumber that's available to do the task so your investment lasts.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:45 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

I think I will do a little reasearch before I take the 5lb hammer to the tub and make a bigger mess. Thanks for the replys.

Dunbar, where are you located at in N.Ky. I lived for a couple years off Buttermilk Pike in Lakeside Village. Can't figurse out for the life of me why I moved away. You know any of the folks at Geiler Plumbing? I had a really good friend who use to work there.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:33 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 844 Times on 754 Posts
Likes Given: 1460

A good refinnish will last about ten years and they work really good if your selling the unit.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:03 AM  
DUNBAR
Master Plumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldog/newtrick View Post
I think I will do a little reasearch before I take the 5lb hammer to the tub and make a bigger mess. Thanks for the replys.

Dunbar, where are you located at in N.Ky. I lived for a couple years off Buttermilk Pike in Lakeside Village. Can't figurse out for the life of me why I moved away. You know any of the folks at Geiler Plumbing? I had a really good friend who use to work there.

I'm in Independence Kentucky. I'm actually working off of Buttermilk Pike thursday.

I worked in new construction for Geiler for a brief time, then tried to get into their commercial service division with no luck.

That was over 12 years ago, decided I'm better off doing for myself. I'm not complaining.

You probably moved away because of the brutal winters here. This past one was almost disrespectful.

[URL="http://DunbarPlumbing.com/"][SIZE="1"][B]Northern Kentucky Plumbers[/B][/SIZE][/URL] [SIZE="1"][B][URL="http://YouTube.com/DunbarPlumbing/"][COLOR="Red"]Plumbing Videos![/COLOR][/URL][/B][/SIZE]

Quick Reply