DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > bathtub overflow??

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2009, 08:15 PM  
Rob99

Default bathtub overflow??

Hi guys

I've just noticed that after my upstairs tub was used, the ceiling in my living room directly below was wet. The caulking is fine I'm suspecting it's the bathtub overflow because I'm told the tub was filled to the top and I think water got in there.

I took off the cover and it looks like the previous owner just tried filling the hole with caulking since there were globs in there.

Is it worth the hassle of fixing it properly which would probably include making a hole in the ceiling to gain access, or would you just seal off the overflow and make sure whoever uses that tub never fills it that high?

thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2009, 08:21 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 94 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I'd be willing to let it go. As long as the tub isn't filled to a point where if someone gets in it after filling it, the level would overflow onto the floor.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:22 PM  
Cork-Guy
Cork Flooring Pros

Well, if you can make sure no one uses it again that is a solution. However, are you sure it's the overflow? It could be another underlying problem and it might be worth checking it out and turning a future problem in a solution.

[B][URL="http://www.corkflooringpros.com"]Cork Flooring[/URL][/B] - [B][URL="http://www.ventless-fireplace.org"]Ventless Fireplace[/URL][/B]

Old 10-10-2009, 08:27 PM  
Rob99

Quote:
Originally Posted by kok328 View Post
I'd be willing to let it go. As long as the tub isn't filled to a point where if someone gets in it after filling it, the level would overflow onto the floor.
It is the guest bathroom and it's been used a total of once in the past 2 years. I'm leaning this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cork-Guy View Post
Well, if you can make sure no one uses it again that is a solution. However, are you sure it's the overflow? It could be another underlying problem and it might be worth checking it out and turning a future problem in a solution.
The reason I think it's the overflow is because I couldn't recreate the leak. The leak happened last week. Yesterday I ran the water for about 10 mins and wet stains on the ceiling. I then filled the tub half way and let it sit for a while, then drained it. No wet stains on the ceiling.
I then removed the valve cover and ran the shower for 10 minutes to see if any water was leaking behind the wall. No leak.

The only thing left is the overflow I'm thinking.

thanks for the replies.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:27 AM  
Redwood
Certified Lunatic

Look at the overflow gasket in between the tub and overflow.
Another possibility is the screws on the overflow plate are loose.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:18 AM  
Rob99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
Look at the overflow gasket in between the tub and overflow.
Another possibility is the screws on the overflow plate are loose.
Looks like this is it.
There appears to be a small gap between the overflow pipe and the actual hole in the tub that's not caulked so rising water would seep through that crack before reaching the level of the overflow pipe. There's a gasket for this? I was thinking of just caulking that gap.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:36 PM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Rob99:

I've replaced that beveled washer behind the overflow, and plumbers here in Winnipeg do it from inside the bathtub. You simply take the crossbar out and push the overflow drain pipe far enough back to slip the old gasket off and slip a new one on.

I'd like to hear what Redwood says on this, but I know for a fact that I've replaced that gasket without causing another leak at the joint where the tee where the overflow and drain pipes meet.

The gasket is a beveled type, very similar to the one that goes between a toilet flush valve and the toilet tank, only a little smaller.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:26 PM  
Redwood
Certified Lunatic

Yes Nestor that is how I do it as well unless there is already access from behind.
Many use a gasket like the one pictured below that is tapered.
The thin part goes to the top.

Some use a slightly different gasket that have 2 ears that clip over the waste and overflow like the one pictured below. Kohler I think is one that does.

Old 11-07-2009, 02:46 PM  
Leontyne Lilibeth

I have a bathtub overflow plate that was removed. However the screws were so old that they snapped. I tried a pliers to remove them without any luck. Anyone have any other suggestions?

[url=http://www.sinksusa.com]stainless steel sinks[/url]

Old 11-07-2009, 06:24 PM  
travelover

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leontyne Lilibeth View Post
I have a bathtub overflow plate that was removed. However the screws were so old that they snapped. I tried a pliers to remove them without any luck. Anyone have any other suggestions?
Use a screw extractor or similar tool. It requires that you drill a hole in the middle of the broken off screw. Sometimes drilling the hole with a left hand drill will cause the screw to back out

Screw Extractors | Bolt Extractor | Square Easy Out | Spiral Easy Out

You might also be able to slot the stub with a small saw blade or Dremel wheel and back it out with a flat bit screwdriver.

How to Remove a Broken Bolt | eHow.com

Quick Reply