DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Bleach to unclog drain???

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2014, 11:12 AM  
icancanu

Our problem is mainly pet hair in the washer drain line. I tested some of the residual fiber that got caught in our dryer filter. I used a sample with chlorine bleach in a jar, and a similar sample with concentrated sodium hydroxide solution I made myself in a separate jar. In about 30 minutes the animal hair had dissolved completely in the bleach. The synthetic fibers were virtually unaffected. I let the sodium hydroxide experiment run for 24 hours or so, and the animal fibers were still quite intact as were the synthetics. Here's the deal: bleach works for protein (like hair). Sodium hydroxide (lye) works for fat. In fact, sodium hydroxide + fat = soap. As far as mixing the two goes, I'd say don't. Liquid Plumbr contains sodium hypochlorite (bleach), sodium hydroxide (lye), and sodium silicate (which is simply denser than water and helps carry the active ingredients through the line. But knowing there's bleach mixed with sodium hydroxide in Liquid Plumbr says absolutely nothing about the relative concentration of the two chemicals. Chlorine gas liberated from bleach by doing something stupid can kill you, blind you, burn you. But we use about 1/2 gal of bleach in our washer drain line after washing blankets covered with animal hair. We can leave it in overnight if we forget, and no harm done. Old cast iron drain line mated to 4" PVC.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2014, 04:06 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 109 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 64

If it's in the P-trap, suck it up and physically unclog the drain.
If it's down stream, I use concentrated phosphoric acid or concentrated sulfuric acid. Wear proper PPE and protect any finished surfaces (including the sink & drain flange). Basically, don't get it on anything you don't want eaten away. Keep an eye on the set time, it will heat up pvc pipes and flush thoroughly between treatments.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:45 AM  
carnuck

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

If you know someone with Amway products, Drain Mate cleared a 20 foot section of pipe that had so many different products put in over the 10 years we lived there. The Amway rep said use it and if it doesn't work, no charge. I poured it in after the kids had their bath (because it wasn't going anywhere) and about 2 AM we heard the POP! gurgle gurgle of the drain flowing again. The way it was made no snake could go down and the whole bathroom would've required ripping apart to get the tub out (1920 built house)

Quick Reply