DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Blue/green flakes in water

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-27-2013, 05:19 PM  
DirtyWater

Default Blue/green flakes in water

We noticed some stuff floating around in our water whenever we used ice from our ice maker. It just looked like clear stuff floating around. We have an in line filter before the supply line hooks up so I figured it was time to replace it anyway. I ran water through the line without the filter and the clear stuff decreased but I think it might still be there a little.

After I ran water into a bucket there was a little pile of blue/green flakes in the center of the bucket. The pipe before the braided steel line is copper and we have city water. We've never noticed anything from anywhere else in the house.

Is this normal with copper pipe? Is any of this stuff harmful or is there a way to get rid of it?

Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks,
Pat

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2013, 07:51 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 802 Times on 715 Posts
Likes Given: 1362

I found this, you may find page 3 interesting.
http://www.powerwater.com.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0013/2632/water_quality_problems.pdf

Old 09-28-2013, 07:12 AM  
DirtyWater

Thanks a lot, that's helpful. I was looking all over for something like that.

Do you think a new in line filter that's higher quality will help?

Old 09-28-2013, 08:44 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 802 Times on 715 Posts
Likes Given: 1362

There are people here that know this stuff, they should be along soon.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:13 AM  
Speedbump
Water well etc.

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Chlorine will eat copper pipes over time and can also make blue/green stains. These little particles may be your plumbing. Low PH in water can also make the stains and eat pipe. If you must have an in line filter, get a carbon cartridge, it will remove the chlorine (for a while).

Old 10-03-2013, 02:02 PM  
MMC_Milwaukee
Avid DIY-er

Likes Given: 2

I had a similar problem with my ice maker (weird stuff floating and a funky taste when the ice melted). I disconnected the tiny supply line from the back of the fridge and ran water through it until the color went away (and probably for a bit longer). Then replaced the filter inside the fridge. Last thing I did was pull out the ice tray/pan (thing that catches the ice), dump/melt/remove all the ice and clean the tray with dish soap. After that the problem went away for me (water tastes better too).

I'm a DIY plumber (so don't take this as law) with a background in materials engineering. Copper corrosion is quite common (ex. statue of liberty - it's actually made of copper) so I'm betting those little 1/4" supply lines simply corrode with the water sitting inside them. Keeping the filter inside your fridge up to date will help prevent any problems getting into your ice (I think you replace those every 3-6 months - probably depends on the make/model of the fridge).

Quick Reply