DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Clueless

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 01:12 PM  
dixonfam

Default Clueless

Ok I seem to have a problem. This is already happened three times. I've had the plumbers come out three times already. Every time I do laundry I find a puddle of water at the base of the toilet in the hallway bathroom. Then the water starts to come up from the drains in the tub and shower. There's also alot of like dirt that comes up from the drain. What could be causing this problem and how can it get fixed?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2010, 01:51 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 102 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Sounds like you have a drain that is partially clogged. Enough to let some low volume utilities drain but, not the high volume of water that a washing machine dumps. I'm surprised that the toilet doesn't cause problems.
Call someone (not a plumber) out to have your drain lines rodded out.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:39 PM  
Cork-Guy
Cork Flooring Pros

Now, before you call a plumber I'd like to make a suggestion. I've used this with very bad clogged drains with success; you will want to use this method on each drain going from the highest running drain to the lowest.

You'll need baking soda, vinegar and salt. Mix the baking soda and salt together (1 cup baking soda, 1 cup salt) and make sure to mix it well. Then, at the highest running drain poor this mixture into the drain. Then, follow up with 1 cup of vinegar and as soon as possible BLOCK the drain using a wet rag or something.

Note, you may see water come up from other drains in the house... THESE are the drains you'll also need to preform this task on. This is a cheap and eco-friendly way to try and solve your problem.

[B][URL="http://www.corkflooringpros.com"]Cork Flooring[/URL][/B] - [B][URL="http://www.ventless-fireplace.org"]Ventless Fireplace[/URL][/B]

Old 03-01-2010, 02:57 PM  
Wuzzat?

Liked 166 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 92

You could also try forcing water down the drain with a garden hose. You can make a hose/drain gasket with rags packed into the space.
Hot water may work better. I go directly from the water heater drain.
Watch for water overflow in other places until the clog erodes & clears, which may take a minute or two.

Tub & shower clogs = hair, kitchen clogs = grease, laundry room clogs = lint[?].

What was the plumber's official diagnosis?

Last edited by Wuzzat?; 03-01-2010 at 03:32 PM.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:09 PM  
Redwood
Certified Lunatic

It sounds like you either have a partially clogged main line or, if you are on a septic system you may have a septic problem.

Nothing I have seen proposed above will do anything for your problem.

You need some professional help because this is only going to get uglier...

If on a septic I would start there and your septic cleaner should be able to either tell you what you need or, be able to handle it.

If you are on a sewer I would call a sewer cleaner...

Old 03-01-2010, 09:28 PM  
dixonfam

Well the plumber said it's the city pipes that's clogged and they used some type of I guess a snake it's in a round thing and they crank it and the metal rod line goes in. But they had to use a electrical one because the manual one just wasn't getting the job done and I guess it need to go further. They are also going to put in a request to get a camera line in to see if there's a problem with the city pipes or if there's some type of clogg that they can't unblock. My toilets have been flushing a lot better than before though. I haven't done laundry yet. The true test will come once I do several loads of laundry. I'm hoping it's been fixed but I guess we'll see soon. Thank you all for your posts.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:05 AM  
majakdragon

Washing machines put out a lot more water when draing than most people think. The newer models have even higher flow pumps, and this is why the Code for washer drain piping was increased to 2" from the old 1-1/2" size. There is a clog somewhere in the main drain. I have never seen a Plumber use a hand auger on a main line.

if you have never made a mistake, you probably haven't done much.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:49 AM  
Redwood
Certified Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by majakdragon View Post
I have never seen a Plumber use a hand auger on a main line.
I agree! If your plumber is using a hand snake you need to find a different plumber for your drain cleaning...

Old 03-02-2010, 08:33 AM  
Wuzzat?

Liked 166 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Prices I pulled off the Internet for this service: $1800 to $2400.

and
http://www.costhelper.com/cost/home-garden/clog-drain-toilet.ht
for worst case
http://www.costhelper.com/cost/home-garden/sewer-line.html

Last edited by Wuzzat?; 03-02-2010 at 08:36 AM.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:10 AM  
Redwood
Certified Lunatic

Prices off the internet are totally meaningless.

The price comes down to one thing only...

How much it costs depends on what the qualified companies that service your area charge.

Here in Connecticut the per capita income is $54,117 and a plumbing company in French Camp, Mississippi where the per capita income is $5,047 are not competition.

I would be rapidly out of business if I charged their rates but would probably have more work than I could do. On the other hand they would also go out of business but they would have a lot of time on their hands and no work...

It is what it is...

Quick Reply