DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Cracked toilet bowl

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2009, 10:13 PM  
DUNBAR
Master Plumber

Location: Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area, Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by majakdragon View Post
Either crack may be superficial, but it could also be all the way through. Leaking is not the real problem. It is the fact that the whole bowl could let go, and of course this would happen while you are away. Not sure what toilets you have been looking at that make noises and don't flush well. I have been installing a lot of $100 American Standard Cadets and have never had this complaint. I am sure the more expensive toilets are even better.

Long time no see majak!

I agree with your sentiment on this. Are those the AS Cadet 3's you're speaking of? I've installed a few and much success.

My thinking on this one is a risk taken by the thread starter that's concern for aesthetics instead of safety.

It's something I wouldn't do to me or my family, knowing the risks involved. To each their own who sit on thy cracked throne.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2009, 12:25 AM  
DaringDamsel

Although I am not familiar with plumbing, your remark about the repair advising a drill hole at the end of the crack reminded me of a repair that I planned for an acrylic fish tank. I am fairly certain that the drill hole is intended to relieve any stresses in the material, in order to prevent future propagation of the crack. Using epoxy may seal the existing crack, but it will not relieve any stresses that are already in the material.

So if the repair instructions say to drill a hole at the end of the crack, I would do so, even if it meant buying a new tool.

(In the case of my aquarium repair, The cracks were above where the water would be. I never did repair the aquarium, it is still in my basement

DD

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply