DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Does PEX Color Matter?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2014, 07:17 AM  
PKLehmer

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Does PEX Color Matter?

I'm going to begin switching to PEX in my house, starting with a kitchen remodel. I know they offer it in several different colors, primarily white, red, and blue. In my basement we left the ceiling joists exposed and painted the ceiling and everything on it (ducts, pipes, wiring etc.) black in the living space, and white in the laundry room. I'd like to keep this look with the PEX so I guess I have two questions, is it ok to paint PEX (I've read yes and no on this so maybe this is more complicated..) and if so can I just use white PEX everywhere so I don't have to worry about painting a bright red hose white?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2014, 07:43 AM  
nealtw

Liked 684 Times on 612 Posts
Likes Given: 1209

Red and blue are handy markers for hot and cold but white is fine for everything if you want, Don't know about paint.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:53 AM  
CallMeVilla

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 127

PEX is flexible piping. Latex paint would not harm it. Anything with solvent in the base might erode it, so oil or poly paints should never be used.

Your problem might be adhesion. Some flaking or "fish eye" look might result.

Have you considered a soffit to hide the piping? Even a false beam wrap would hide the piping and can be easily painted with anything.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:01 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Liked 269 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 96

I did my whole house in white pex. I didn’t get the colors its not that hard to keep hot and cold separate. My thought was buy one roll and not end up running out of blue and having red left over.

I suggest building a hot cold supply manifold and then running homerun to everything within reason. The one exception I did was run a ¾ to the second floor bath and then branch off to 1/2 . with everything labeled in the basement it’s just as easy to run down there and kill a supply as digging to the back of the sink and trying to turn a valve. Off my manifold I have all quarter turn ball valves.

There are two clamp ring systems. I like the stainless rings that cinch in. get a good crimper and cutter and never look back.

I don’t think it would hurt a thing if you painted it.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:44 AM  
havasu
on permanent vacation

Liked 76 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 23

They now have flexible "rattle can" paint specially formulated for plastics, which should make quick work of painting the Pex.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:35 PM  
PKLehmer

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
I suggest building a hot cold supply manifold and then running homerun to everything within reason. The one exception I did was run a ¾ to the second floor bath and then branch off to 1/2 . with everything labeled in the basement it’s just as easy to run down there and kill a supply as digging to the back of the sink and trying to turn a valve. Off my manifold I have all quarter turn ball valves.
I really struggle with the point in this. I understand the convenience of having one central point for each run, and no extraneous connections, but the amount of material needed seems excessive. And then add on the fact that with a normal plumbing system, if you run hot water on one appliance it heats up the lines for everything else, whereas if you use individual lines, you have to run all of the hot water out of each line. For instance, I will commonly run the hot water in my sink before starting a load in the dishwasher or laundry machine to flush the system and make sure I'm starting those runs with hot water.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:36 PM  
PKLehmer

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
They now have flexible "rattle can" paint specially formulated for plastics, which should make quick work of painting the Pex.
If only I didn't have a picky wife who chooses "rustic charcoal" instead of black paint, I could easily use cans. I actually sprayed the whole basement using a 5 gallon pro-style sprayer. That was just about the most fun I had working on my basement
Old 06-10-2014, 01:37 PM  
PKLehmer

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
Red and blue are handy markers for hot and cold but white is fine for everything if you want, Don't know about paint.
Thanks, my biggest concern was whether the red pipe had a higher temp rating or something like that, but everything I've seen indicates all three colors are identical spec wise.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:55 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 94 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Sounds like a good time to install a circulation loop and pump.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:30 PM  
PKLehmer

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kok328 View Post
Sounds like a good time to install a circulation loop and pump.
Did a lot of research on this, most people seem to agree you're going to spend more reheating water then you save on wasted water.

And a circulation loop would also rule out a manifold style system!

Quick Reply