DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > drain to high

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-28-2014, 12:52 AM  
jerblaster23

Default drain to high

I have a new installation for a shower I am working on. It's a stand up fiberglass shower. For whatever reason it didn't come with a standard drain assembly guts though it looks like it was built for one. The fiberglass bottom has a normal round drain spot that sinks down slightly. However the drain assembly guts that it came with sits up and so it leaves a puddle.

The drain is the "Oatey 42213 2 x 3-Inch Ceramic Shower Stall Drain" it's available on amazon so you can take a look at the picture.

It's got a raised lip on it meant to be sunk into concrete or mortar, it is intended to go in ceramic shower. It really doesn't not look like it was designed for my shower. Trouble is I can't install a normal drain because the lower part of this one is now between the floor and the shower so I can't access it without cutting a whole in the floor from underneath.

It has 2 inch threads. I need a drain that has 2 inch threads and then just has a standard flat top drain assembly without the extra raised lip. But nobody seems to carry such a thing. The guy at the hardware store said that my drain is intended to go in concrete and that I must remove the base (cut it out and replace with a standard.) Any easy solutions or ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2014, 05:40 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Liked 264 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 95

I think you can find a low profile drain that will fix the problem if you look around, but I think you might have to open up the ceiling below also. What is below the shower?

Others will post with some recommendations so hang in there and welcome to the site.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply