DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Drain for Washer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-20-2006, 10:50 AM  
tooltime

Code? Who said anything about code... I just want it to work and not cause further problems. :P
I went to Home Depot to see what options I might have, seems like I am going to make this more complicated than it needs to be. Conversing with the employee at the store , I think I have opted to extend the access to the cleanout and tie into it there with a trap. I can then get my 18" of height. Hoping to get this done by/through the weekend. My brother is coming up from TN to help me with some projects, and would like to take advantage of his help getting a washer/dryer into the basement.

4” Male Adapter (threaded)
4”x4”x2” San Tee
4” Fitting Clean Out Adapter
4” Thread Plug
2” 90 St. Elbow
2” P Trap <- turned towards wall

2” ( for the straight pipe) & 4” ( to connect the 2 4” pieces).

All of this in black ABS.

Once this is all said and done I will post image for other’s who may have a similar situation.

JFYI, manhattan42, I would love to move and build a house from scratch rather than work around existing problems

*edit: It was also highly recommended I place a check valve near the sump pump. Not anythign to do with the particular issue at hand. Good thing, or waste of time?

If you want it done right, guess you gotta do it yourself. :D

Last edited by tooltime; 07-20-2006 at 10:58 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2006, 01:30 PM  
Square Eye

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Hey guys,

Wouldn't it be better to run this in PVC to the point where it all ties in?

Then a transition adaptor or a threaded adaptor to go from PVC to ABS?

I ain't no plumber!

[URL="http://www.houserepairtalk.com/announcement.php?f=39&a=6"][size=3]The Ten Commandments of House Repair Talk[/size][/URL]

[URL="http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=289528&ck="]Square Eye's home page[/URL]

Old 07-20-2006, 02:37 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Hi Tooltime:
If you wll check outside I think you will find an open vent of 4" pipe and, if you dug down, you would find a trap also. That is the normal connection for a sump pump. If that is the case, you could take the last 45 degree fitting out of the black line and replace it with a wye; y connect the bottom of the wye to the house drain, put the sump pump drain in the other end of the wye, and simply hook your washer hose into the branch of the wye. That would answer to the code very well. If that is too confusing, just let me know and I will attach a complete drawing to clarify it. Sorry about the remark about the wood platform, I've been told that is code now.
If the conditions outside are not like I supposed it to be, then Manhattan 42 is correct. If you make the washer a "direct" connection (clamping the hose) it will siphon the washer dry. It has to be an "indirect" connection (the hose simply hooked into the pipe)
Glenn

Old 07-20-2006, 04:31 PM  
tooltime

Square Eye! Nice to hear form you. I wish it were that simple… to break into that first section of ABS and put the wye there, and run my hose right there, without any additional modification (well , maybe a little.. can't have water flowing out of the top of the wye when the sump kicks on.
As for looking outside and all that, gelnnjanie, what do you propose? The main going through the wall is probably 2’ below ground level.
The sump is just a hole in the floor made out of concrete (not just a dirt hole), roughly like a 5-gallon bucket with 1 or 2 openings on the side. I figure this is for drainage under the house? As I just stated, I think tying in right at that abs would be great, and I think you are suggesting to run the abs form the sump to somewhere else to do that… I think it would be a lot of work to dig out the dirt, drill through the wall and run the abs sump out on it’s own piping.

It looks like I will have to wait till tomorrow before purchasing anything, I would appreciate any drawings (crayon or otherwise) or pictures if glennjanie, or anyone has any relating to this.

Old 07-20-2006, 07:30 PM  
manhattan42

From your description above, going into the existing 4" cleanout could work and work well.

You could use ABS or PVC for your drain materials since the final connection would be a thread connection where the 4" cleanout cap was located.

A check valve should be in place immediately above the sump pump for the vertical waste riser. This would keep any water that is pumped up the 5-6' from running back down into the sump after the pump shuts down.

PS: I have to use crayons for my drawings because they won't let me have anything sharp here in the hospital....

Old 07-26-2006, 07:05 PM  
tooltime

The deed is done! So far I havent noticed any issues ( sitll have no washer/dryer). I shoudl have the appliances in a ocuple days. HEre is, as promised, pictures of the work. Also is the base frame I made for the w/d to sit on. It still has to be sheathed in ply, but strong enough for my bro and I to stand on. And the drain still comes in just under 6' high. Should work pretty well I think.

Old 07-26-2006, 08:30 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Congratulations Tooltime:
It looks just fine and will work like a champ. Whew, that job was about to wear me out, I'm glad its over.
Glenn

Old 04-14-2009, 04:06 AM  
NHMaster

That's an illegal 3/4, unvented S trap. Yes it will work, but then a whole lot of illegal things work. Plumbing is about making it work and meet code.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:48 AM  
Redwood
Certified Lunatic

I hope this is discharging to a sewer and not a septic system...
Of course it would be an illegal hook up to a sewer for a sump pump to drain into it. But I suspect if it was to a septic tank the OP would have posted back about a very ugly situation....

Old 04-14-2009, 02:12 PM  
DaveyDIY
Extreme DIY Homeowner

So if that "T" on the main line had been turned sideways
Then the trap went into it, that would meet code?

I know my sump pump is not allowed to be tied into city sewer
But my washer is connected & drians to the sewer
My last house I had a seperate drain pit out in the yard & the washer went to that. But I had a septic system. When they put a new system in everything went to the septic

Wow, just noticed this thread is 1.5 years old

Quick Reply