DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Faucet leaking under sink...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2014, 09:54 PM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor

Liked 394 Times on 307 Posts
Likes Given: 161

AH, my bad. Thanks Neal ... This means two cartridges or valves which can leak and the mixing crossover which feeds the faucet head.

Nonetheless, the supply lines will connect to the individual valves and if a leak is coming from there, it would be readily visible. Dry the highest spot with the water running into the valve. Wait, observe, shout "GOT YOU!" if it is leaking. If not, move to the next connection, repeat process.

If the o-ring of the faucet is leaking, then the "drop point" should be near the center of the unit ... Causing another shout out ...

This is all about systematic observation with a strong flashlight and some padding under your back. Sucks to be under the sink, but somebody has to do it!

sink-under.jpg  
Old 06-04-2014, 10:18 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 850 Times on 759 Posts
Likes Given: 1466

If I may, if all else fails pull it out and hook up the water and run it into a bucket so you can really see what going on.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2014, 11:09 PM  
Calman

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Many thanks for your assist folks - super appreciated!!!!!!!!

Now then, I thought progress was being made in Godzilla sized boots, then without changing anything, I decided to do some dishes only using the cold supply (although the valve was turned on for hot, just didn't turn on the actual hot tap at any point). Looked under the sink (which I now have a resident square basin in place, drip, Drip, DRIP ... which appears to be dropping on BOTH outer (front of sink as you approach it) sections of the locknut fixings.

Now then, I decided to turn my attention to the spout base. The "chrome dome" was only hand tight, so I took it off and had a look at things under the hood. Now, I am an amateur plumber, so not qualified to review a worn O-Ring, but to me, they looked okay. However ......... I will upload a photo in my next post, as something doesn't sit well with me (although it could be perfectly normal, when viewed by you folks with genuine plumbing skills).

Stay tuned ...

Old 06-04-2014, 11:13 PM  
Calman

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Oh!!! .. also Neal, my tiny amateur mind had that VERY idea. As I am also doing tiling on the kitchen backsplash, the faucet will have to come out again (working or not) ... so I will "Attempt" to hook it up to the water supply flex lines, without travelling up through the countertop and report my findings on that test also.

All the best,
Cal

Old 06-05-2014, 01:34 AM  
Calman

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Okay friends, here are three shots of the faucet, namely the base of the central spout. Can anyone confirm the "scuffs" on either side of the brass fitting ... are they part of the sculpture or is something seriously wrong here???

All the best,
Cal

Old 06-05-2014, 09:17 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

They have done that so it fits in a jig tight when they drill the hole for the spout. My guess now is the lower O ring I would change them both.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:15 PM  
Calman

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Interesting Neal!

So, is it save to assume that what you detect, is a flattening Abrasion on the outer edge of the O-Rings? (particularly the lower one).

I guess common sense would tell me that the reason I am not seeing any leaks above the base fitting (from spout base or tap handles etc) ... is maybe due to the fact that the white seal ring (my word for it lol) ... is creating a watertight area, but if the O-rings are failing, water is making it's way into the faucet base and down into the underside of the sink?

Sorry, I like to think aloud, as it helps me learn.

Anyway, thanks as always for the feedback - the faucet will be removed today, as I continue my kitchen tiling, but will certainly look at these O-rings, when I can re-focus on the faucet issue.

Many thanks again!
Cal

Old 06-05-2014, 12:19 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Water will take the easy route. Push it's way past the white seal or just fall down, which would you choose.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:56 PM  
Calman

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

So true!!! ...

Maybe one day very soon, I can start rehearsing my Banana Dance and the "faucet failure" will be a distant memory! lol

So, time for some Scrambled Eggs on Toast, then it's time to remove the Faucet (for now) and crack on with Tiling. Hmm, maybe "crack on" was not the best choice of terms back there??? lol lol

All the best,
Cal

Old 06-05-2014, 02:03 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

I just stole your egg man and I will use it.

Quick Reply