DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Faucet leaking under sink...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2014, 02:27 AM  
Calman

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hi again Folks,

Just to update you on the kitchen tap saga .... I've been busy tiling, so not had much of an opportunity to address the situation further. However, we discovered a guy who works for a plumbing company in the street below us - so he came to take a look. In his opinion, he 'thinks' it may be a fault with the spout (possible crack?) .... but in all honestly, with respect to his assessment, I would like a second opinion.

I would still like to try and hook it up under the sink, to see if I can learn anything new. Also, for the small cost of replacing the O-Rings in the spout base, I would also be keen to rule that out too (although he thought the O-Rings looked okay). At the point of replacing both seats/springs and O-rings in the spout base, I would be willing to give up on it, if a leak was still present after that time.

All the best,
Cal

Old 06-14-2014, 07:00 PM  
Calman

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Update:

Hi again folks!

Okay, so I had a few chores and running around to deal with today, so took the "famous faucet" along with me. I had a local plumbing related outfit take a look at it and they reckon it may just have "dried out". Although they say that the O-rings in the spout base look slightly flattened, they feel they are still in good working order. So ... perhaps, with the faucet sitting out for 1 month or so, the O-rings have dried out?? ... they had me purchase Plumber's Grease, so I guess I need to address that tomorrow.

Here comes the obvious question ... do I have to remove the O-rings and "fully" rub grease into them?

Thanks in advance!
Cal

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2014, 11:54 PM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor

Liked 352 Times on 277 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Just replaced O-ring on a faucet ... had to slip it under the top nut because the neck would not easily detach ... Managed nicely, tightened the nut and BINGO! No leaks.

Old 06-15-2014, 04:13 PM  
Calman

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Well, if I try this Plumber's Grease and the existing O-Rings don't settle down, I think we will just call it a day and purchase a Moan at some point.

All the best.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:24 PM  
Mallot999

Check the aerator if it has one! I have seen loose aerators/aerators with bad gaskets leak at the top of the aerator, down the INSIDE of faucet body, and out the counter-top cut outs to the cabinet below! I often see this in bathroom faucets.
I usually check the aerator if I can't see an obvious leak! That often does it!

Old 06-24-2014, 12:34 PM  
Calman

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks for the tip Mallo ... but I don't see any issues there.

Following up from my last post, I "finally" found some more time to look at this issue (between guests staying and other home renos).

So, I carefully took off the spout base O-Rings and rubbed them with Plumber's Grease and popped them back on. The question is, should I leave them for a while to "work in" or replace the faucet immediately and let things "Settle in" naturally??

A local plumber suggested trying the grease approach and if the O-rings were simply dried out (having had the faucet uninstalled for a good 1-2 months) ... then this "could" be the primary reason for the dripping underneath the sink.

What would you suggest folks?

All the best,
Cal

Old 06-24-2014, 01:00 PM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Liked 292 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 102

I don’t think O rings dry out like that and I don’t think grease will rejuvenate them in that way if they are dried out. If there was any question they were worn I would have just changed them in conjunction with the grease. To me the grease helps ease the assembly and avoid pinches etc. and then it might last a while helping with friction when parts move past them. Worn is worn IMHO.

In the old days with leather seals and packing valves and such there was more stuff swelling up and sealing and maybe grease would soften seals.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:03 PM  
Calman

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks for the feedback bud!

In all honesty, I am a complete novice on plumbing, so trusting (to some degree) what others with potential knowledge are suggesting. I'm really at the point of trying anything from feedback received.

Could I ask if you could please look back at my faucet photos from earlier pages? ... I know it's no guarantee, but would value your input on the "visual" condition of the spout base O-rings on our faulty faucet.

All the best,
Cal

Old 06-24-2014, 02:41 PM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Liked 292 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 102

I had been following your thread and agree with Neal in post 16. They look to be flat on the sides. New rings will do the trick I think. The tool to get them out looks like a dull dental pick but you can use anything similar to lift them out. Just be careful not to cut them. The new ones will roll right in. Take them out so you can size the new ones correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

Old 06-24-2014, 02:44 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 372 Times on 310 Posts
Likes Given: 123

Have you tried the trouble shooting Peerless page?

http://www.peerlessfaucet.com/customer-support/faq/leaks/index.html

Quick Reply