DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Fixed Toilet, now high water pressure?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-23-2010, 07:54 AM  
Redwood
Certified Lunatic

Actually the burst of pressure is not caused by a clogged filter screen but rather a PRV that does not shut off completely like a dripping faucet it allows the system to over pressure 1 drip at a time until it builds to a noticeable level...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2010, 09:54 AM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Then Turtle Rouge should be aware that there's a very good chance he would be able to buy an overhaul kit for his PRV and fix it him/herself.

I know that I can buy overhaul kits for Watts pressure reducing valves. That kit comes with a new diaphragm, seat gasket, disk (which holds the seat gasket in place), screw (which holds the disk in place), strainer screen, strainer nut and strainer nut gasket. And, of course, there'll be printed literature that comes in the kit that explains how to go about replacing the parts. And that kit cost me about $25 every bit of 10 years ago.

If I were turtle rouge, I'd find the name of the manufacturer on the PRV, phone around to the plumbing wholesalers to find out who the local sales rep or agency for that manufacturer is, and find out from that rep or agent whether an overhaul kit is available. I expect most plumbing wholesalers will order it and sell it to him if he pays cash since they do for that oddball kind of stuff up here.

If it turns out the problem isn't just expansion in the water heater, it'd be worthwhile trying to fix the PRV him/herself before hiring someone to replace it.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 06-23-2010 at 10:13 AM.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:10 PM  
Redwood
Certified Lunatic

I would replace rather than overhaul a PRV...

Unless of course you are a DIYer that likes to Waste Time & Money with very limited success in the results...

If a rebuild kit cost $25 10 years ago, and I can buy a new PRV for $43 I fail to see any logic in repairing especially when there is no guarantee a repair will work....

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=watts+25aub&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=11575970160719391050&ei=R1wiTKi2J4P98AaS2oWx BQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum =3&ved=0CCoQ8wIwAg#

See my Logic?

Last edited by Redwood; 06-23-2010 at 01:14 PM.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:16 PM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The price on that PRV is suspiciously low.

I can't help thinking that a $43 price on a new PRV is a "loss leader". The company sells some items at a loss to convince customers that all it's prices are really low so they'll buy more. The company recoups it's loss on first item by the profit it makes on the other items.

Still, if he/she can buy a new PRV for less than $60 including taxes and shipping, replacing the PRV would be an economical option too.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 06-26-2010 at 01:39 PM.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:02 PM  
Redwood
Certified Lunatic

I don't pay much more than that at the local supply house...

Quick Reply