DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Gas line drain wait time

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 10:52 AM  
tmiranda

Default Gas line drain wait time

I'm going to install a new gas line tonight for our new dryer. The gas line that that does come out of the wall is capped and does not have a shutoff valve. I cannot tell where it comes from therefore I dont know where the shutoff valve is. So what I was planning on doing was turning off the gas for the entire house at the gas meter, running a new pipe up the wall with a shutoff valve and then put a hose from there to the dryer. My question is, how long will it take to drain the gas lines in the house? How long do I need to wait after I turn it off before starting work?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2010, 11:26 AM  
paul52446m

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
I'm going to install a new gas line tonight for our new dryer. The gas line that that does come out of the wall is capped and does not have a shutoff valve. I cannot tell where it comes from therefore I dont know where the shutoff valve is. So what I was planning on doing was turning off the gas for the entire house at the gas meter, running a new pipe up the wall with a shutoff valve and then put a hose from there to the dryer. My question is, how long will it take to drain the gas lines in the house? How long do I need to wait after I turn it off before starting work?
You only have about 1/4 lb of pressure so a couple of pilots will use up the gas
in a couple of min. Some times the outside valve does not hold 100 percent.
have your fitting ready, and don't go away too long with out plugging it.
Later Paul

Old 11-01-2010, 05:22 PM  
DrHicks
Big Hog

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
Not long at all. I would, however, suggest opening your windows.

One thing you might run into... Here in Omaha, if you shut off your gas line the City Utilities have the meter set so it shuts down and will not come back on. It's a safety thing that, honestly, makes sense. You have to call the Utilities office, tell them what you did and that you're done, and they reset the meter. No biggie.

I found that out the hard way, after installing a new water heater, and just about going nuts trying to figure out what was wrong.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:13 PM  
Puddlesx5
Hearder of Turds

TEST for leaks when you are done. soapy water, gas leak solution. always test gas for leaks after working on the pipe.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:18 AM  
tmiranda

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
Not long at all. I would, however, suggest opening your windows.

One thing you might run into... Here in Omaha, if you shut off your gas line the City Utilities have the meter set so it shuts down and will not come back on. It's a safety thing that, honestly, makes sense. You have to call the Utilities office, tell them what you did and that you're done, and they reset the meter. No biggie.

I found that out the hard way, after installing a new water heater, and just about going nuts trying to figure out what was wrong.
I ended up doing it last night before I read all these lol. I turned off the gas at the meter and then left for the hardware store. i figured that was enough time. Apparently in Wichita we do not have to call the utility company as the gas came back on just fine. The whole project took only about 45 min including a trip to local Ace hardware store. I did have a scare at first. After I got the dryer hooked up to the gas line I went back to the meter and turned the gas back on. I went and turned on the dryer and then I went over and lit the pilot on the water heater. After about a minute I started to smell gas. I quickly shut off the water heater and got some soap and checked all my connections and everything looked fine. (i knew it would be, i wrapped each pipe with gas line plumbers tape 3 times and tightened everything crazily tight) so i waited for about 5 minutes with the dryer on and i didn't smell the gas anymore so I went ahead and re-lit the pilot on the water heater. Everything seems fine.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:54 AM  
havasu
on permanent vacation
HRT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 87 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 23

It feels good to do something by yourself, doesn't it? Good job!

Old 11-03-2010, 07:50 AM  
tmiranda

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
It feels good to do something by yourself, doesn't it? Good job!
yes it does. thank you. ive been married less than 6 months and she has already had me replace the porch light assembly, install a new garbage disposal, get her a gas dryer, and put a new ceiling fan in the bedroom. I'm not liking how this is starting

Old 11-03-2010, 12:59 PM  
MSU Fan

My understanding is that you are not supposed to use plumbers tape, but rather pipe dope. Is this correct or a myth?

Old 11-03-2010, 01:57 PM  
havasu
on permanent vacation
HRT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 87 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 23

They have yellow plumber's tape which is perfectly acceptable, but my preference is Rectorseal #5, which lubricates and seals tightly.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:57 PM  
DrHicks
Big Hog

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSU Fan View Post
My understanding is that you are not supposed to use plumbers tape, but rather pipe dope. Is this correct or a myth?
On a gas line, you do NOT use that white Teflon tape. There is gas-line tape that is usually yellow.

Quick Reply