DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Hard water?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2006, 07:00 PM  
DSCAM

I iron water and rent a softener but can't get the owner to come out. There is clear water coming out of the leach line and the water in the plumbing is becoming hard again. I assume the unit is dead. Any suggestions.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2007, 11:12 AM  
frizzak

Default I solved my Hard Water Problem

I had bad, bad, bad, water. There are a million water softeners/conditioners on the net. I heard about the bans on water softeners and also found out that sodium and filters can cost a fortune each time you need more. I did a little research and found a small company that sells a water conditioner that needs no maintenance or installation and NO FILTERS AND NO SODIUM. I paid a one time price and i'm stoked. The conditioner is called VWP and is made by Nilemark(swedish). You can e-mail the guy i bought it from at: sso@vwp-usa.com
They give you a money back trial but i didn need it. You feel and taste a difference in days. AND ITS GOOD FOR THE ENVIRONMENT!!!

Old 12-19-2007, 09:59 AM  
phreaq

I have a water softener and am not sure how often to refill the salt. I seem to add 'some' salt every 4 - 6 months, based on there being some room to add more. Is this the norm?

There are two people living in the house.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:07 PM  
travelover

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreaq View Post
I have a water softener and am not sure how often to refill the salt. I seem to add 'some' salt every 4 - 6 months, based on there being some room to add more. Is this the norm?

There are two people living in the house.

I go through about 80# every two months with two people.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:02 AM  
phreaq

80#!!!!!

Then I am obviously doing something wrong, I think I've gone thru 80# in over a year!

I don't know what I'm doing wrong mind you, I can't fit anymore salt in the holder.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:40 AM  
travelover

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Maybe your water is not that hard. When my old water softener failed, the water became rusty (stains in shower, sinks, toilets) and you couldn't work up a lather or rinse off soap in the shower. Clothes did not come clean in the washing machine.

If you are happy with your water, maybe everything is OK.

Old 12-21-2007, 05:59 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 122 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 286

Default Hmmm

Unless you do not use water that much...you need to get it serviced. The tubes may be clogged and you need to do some flushing out . When was your last water test? You need to get your water tested evry year for bacteria, and all the other things that change over time. The water is capable of anything...it does change. Someone building up stream of your aquifier can do wonders to your water quality.
My opinion is, have it tested and clean it out. You should be using apx 80 lbs every 3-4 months at the least.
Tell us how you make out.

Just My
Made in the

Old 01-11-2008, 05:59 AM  
phreaq

I have a service man coming next week to inspect my softener, but I must say they have the worst pricing method I have heard of.

They charge you travel time (I'm quite rural) from their last stop, not from their shop. So one day I may be lucky enough to have him travel from my neighbours, and pay nothing. Another day he may charge me an hour in travel time for the same job. So how much does it cost? it depends on who else has a broken system that day

I called a few others and they either weren't interested in coming, or knew nothing about my unit.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:08 AM  
phreaq

The service man came and took a look at my water softener and determined the seals needed replaced. Water was not going thru the salt container, so it was not 'recharging' and thus, was just hard water.

fwiw, he mentioned a working softener should use about 6lbs of salt for each recharge. I have 2 recharges a week, so thats 12lbs of salt a week, far greater than my previous 0lbs.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:25 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 122 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 286

Default Now your talkin

That sounds better. Now did get your water tested or not untill it is fixed?
Glad to see you have it fixed.

Just My
Made in the

Quick Reply